X

Coils

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coils

Is it unusual for a coil to fail for only one cylinder?

My #3 and #4 cylinders have both started randomly dropping during idle, after warm-up. Feels like they're fouling out, and they will randomly fire on and off again during cruise. Does not happen consistently.

I haven't gotten the tank off to check connections yet, but I'm wondering if it's unheard of for a coil to stop working for only one cylinder.

Also, I did wash the bike about a week ago, noticed the problems probably started happening shortly after that. Coincidence?

I do not think its a coincidence if the bike was running good prior to you washing it. I would pull the tank off, and check you wires / plugs, ensure everything is tight.

And this bike has 4 cylinders but only 2 coils, I believe cylinders 1 and 4 share a coil, then 2 and 3 share a coil, so I do not believe you have a coil going bad.

If nothing seems out of the ordinary, then you could be having a carb issue.

Comment

Clogged drain holes for the spark plug wells could cause water build up that would facilitate arcing and grounding out before the plugs could spark.

I would check those... and the wires, plug boots for damage (not from the water, but the water would cause damaged wires to arc more....)

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
      X