X

Mysterious Slow Leak?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysterious Slow Leak?

For a while I've dealt with having lots of oil build up on the bottom part of my bike above the kickstand area. It gets all over a small part of the bottom fairing too and you don't notice unless you're taking a close look. I had a mechanic convince me it was just oil flinging off my chain, but I'm now quite sure that's not the case. After taking some of the fairings off the other day, I saw it's not just on the fairing and top part of the kickstand, but it goes a little higher too. I've never had an issue with needing to add oil between oil changes (every 3-4k miles) though. Any ideas what it might be or where it's coming from?

take the front sprocket cover off, then clean it and service your chain. It's possible the inside of the cover is so caked in oil and debries that it'll be a constant stream of junk.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Or the clutch rod seal is leaking
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Or a leaking starter gear cover gasket or a small crack in the cover.

Comment

Or you have just completely overlubricated

Comment

Remember: if you're overlubricated don't ride your bike! you might forget to put your foot down when you stop!
            Last edited by KAT TOY; 09-20-2013, 08:35 PM. Reason: bullshit
            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I think over lubricating is NOT the problem, especially since I've been using Fluid Film for a while now (great stuff by the way!), which is more clear; it's not black like oil/grease.

Comment

You may put it on clear, but it'll come off as black as the ace of spades

There is a fairly simple way to tell what it is - find some, dab it in the centre of a bit of plain printer paper. Fold it up, then unfold it.

If it's oil - you'll get a permanent black stain that spreads evenly and doesn't dry out. You can't really see through this.

If it's old lube - it'll really spread out and some of it will evaporate, leaving tiny specks of crap behind. It will turn the paper slightly transparent.

If it's water - it'll damage the paper and leave crap behind. You won't be able to see through it really.

If it's brake fluid - it'll do strange things, depending how old it is.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips! Hopefully I'll get around to checking it out again with them in mind soon.

Comment

wind and gravity make oil travel down and back
                    so look above and forward of the location

the chain and sprockets can sling crap in all directions

Fluid Film will "creep"
                    to see what I mean put a dab of it on a clean piece of bare steel
                    go back a few days later and see how much it has spread
                    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Working...
                    X