X

Chain Size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain Size

I am gonna go 14-49 or 50 on my 05 750, what chain size will I need> what other opionion do you have on this setup. Doing it more for stunting, not highway use.

The Kat uses a 530 chain. I don't think you'll have any problems with that setup. I used a 13/48 on my 600 last year, and it was wicked-fun around the city. (17.8% change in final drive ratio) Seeing as how your change is only 11.7% off of the stock ratio, you should still be able to venture out on long rides, and hit the highway without having to run excessive RPM.....

That being said, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the newfound torque, especially if yer stunting. Wear some good gear! :P
    FrankenKat 1216
    GS Fiter 816
    GSXR750! (race)

Comment

I THINK he meant length .... And I BELIEVE I've read that for every tooth you add to the rear sprocket , add one link . Buy a longer one than you need , so you can cut it down to size if need be .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
        I THINK he meant length .... And I BELIEVE I've read that for every tooth you add to the rear sprocket , add one link . Buy a longer one than you need , so you can cut it down to size if need be .
        +1

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: Chain Size

Originally posted by cexodusk
          I am gonna go 14-49 or 50 on my 05 750, what chain size will I need> what other opionion do you have on this setup. Doing it more for stunting, not highway use.
          I have been dealing with Sumofallparts.net and they got a kit you can buy that converts to a 520 chain (which is better), and they give you the size sprockets you want for about 150 and that includes a new chain, they recommend -1 front +3 back. They also sell the kit on ebay.
          www.scrmotorcycles.com www.katanaOutlet.com
          Katana Frame Sliders
          The only fully tested and proven Katana sliders Rear sliders, 520 conversion, gas caps and more.
          98+ Slider are "CyberPoet Endorsed" R.I.P.
          I couldn't have done this without you.

Comment

Re: Chain Size

Originally posted by BRAUNSTEIN82
            they got a kit you can buy that converts to a 520 chain (which is better),
            I tend to disagree with the blanket statement that 520 chains are better.

#520 chains are better if you need to par down the weight of the chain for drag racing or track events, or for performance at the expense of longevity.

#530 chains are usually better for real world riders, where the weight penalty of a few ounces aren't as critical, but the extra width makes for a better chain/sprocket interface (less sprocket wear), less pressure between sprocket/dirt/o-rings (less grinding debris into the o-rings under pressure) and often a significantly longer lifespan.

The real secret is to get the word straight from the horse's mouth -- talk to the chain manufacturers and see what they recommend for your bike. Many manufacturers built 3 or 4 different grades of sealed-ring #520 and 4 to 9 different grades of sealed-ring #530 chains, and without a guide or insider reference, you might end up taking a chain designed specifically for racing (lighter parts, but an expected lifespan of well under 1000 miles), or dirt-bikes (light bike and don't go high/triple-digit speeds, but ingest lots of dirt), instead of one designed for hauling around a heavy Kat at highway speeds.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yeah they are good guys, i've met them all personally. They live about an hour from me and I bought my first lowers from them the one's i had brand new looking before i layed my bike down at a low speed and tore them up. 2 days after putting them on no less. lol stuff happens.

Comment

cyber is corect. 520 chain is lighter but wont hold up well on heavier bikes. a goog 530 chain like ek will reduce weight and give good performance

Comment

Working...
                X