X

Weight Reduction

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rk97 View Post
    I appreciate (and largely agree with) everyone's opinions, but I think you're all missing my objective here: cheap fun. Not win races. not have the world's greatest track bike.

So yeah, I am curious about how light I can get the bike by simply removing things I think are ugly or unnecessary, but I fully and completely acknowledge that it will never be "supersport light," nor will that weight reduction magically transform it into something it's not - but I don't see the harm either.

30 lbs. is significant in my mind. Especially on a bike that makes such low horsepower, relative to the GSXR 750's and liquid-cooled 600's I'll be up against in a B superstock race with WERA... Do I expect to win? Hell no! Do I expect to get a lot of pats on the back after the race for staying on the lead lap with a vastly inferior bike? I'm hoping.
    I think everyone gets what your saying. Probably best weight savings is to change the heavy exhaust canister.
    There just isn't much more that can be taken off or cut off the bike. You had a race bike and with your XR you know that the small amount of weight you will take off is not going to result in an appreciable drop in lap times. It is your bike and you can do with it what you want. You have to expect on this site to get some jeers when you talk about removing your center stand. Most here know that removing it will not help lower your lap times so why remove the one tool on the bike that is so convenient for your 90% commuter side of the bike. With that said, if you don't use your center stand enough for it to be important to you, take it off, sell it to someone that wants one and throw the $ in a jar for track day costs. Win win for two people.
    BTW I can't wait for my son to outgrow his XR100 so we can take it to the go kart tracks also!

Comment

Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
      BTW I can't wait for my son to outgrow his XR100 so we can take it to the go kart tracks also!
      it's seriously the best bike I have ever owned.

I bought it for $450, put $400 (including tires and an XR80 front rim) into it, and raced it all last year.

I crashed it 6 times? 10 times? I don't remember... and the only damage was a scratched exhaust and bent shift lever.

We rode a 2-hour endurance on mine, wringing the piss out of it the whole time. That was after a full season of 9 race weekends. I changed the oil twice.

Off-season maintenance involved a valve check, switching the front brake shoes with the rear ones, and a new brake cable (purely as a precaution).

it starts on the 2nd kick.

Oh, and a full SEASON of race fees put me around the $700 mark... I was lucky to get 2-3 days of track time on a big bike for that price.
      -Chris
      **if what I said can be taken two ways, and one of them offends you, I meant it the other way.

Comment

Blast. I used to race a yamaha ysr with the California Mini Road Race Association. Most fun ever out on those go kart tracks. Ended up running an XR75 motor on alcohol. Fun times.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
          Skip the coke at lunch and you'll get faster weight savings than grinding tabs off the frame.
          Or just do a bunch of coke and skip lunch, and dinner... jus' saying.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            Or just do a bunch of coke and skip lunch, and dinner... jus' saying.

Or Steal the coke from a dealer... while running from the police and hide in the woods for 3 days evading arrest... Bam... Ultra weight reduction lol
            You know your a KatRider when you sell a nearly new perfectly running low miles bike... and buy a 13 year old non running Katana.

Comment

Carpe Jugulum...
              1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Working...
              X