X

Half and Half

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half and Half

Though I can't post any pictures right now (cause its raining outside). But I need to figure this out and I was hoping to bounce an idea off a few of y'all.

Went to replace the head today, realized I can't do it til I drop the motor. However, it was perfect oppertunity to find out a few things I wasn't aware of.

1st: Exhaust holders (the little bars that hold to the head) were kinda tight. Some were nearly rusted in and the others were nearly falling out.
    2nd: The connection between stock exhaust and slip on was loose with light exhaust marks
    3rd: Cylinders 1 & 4 have heavy black char on them. 2 & 3 are a light tan (tells me those are lean)
    4th: Cam chain and tensioner are still in spec
    5th: Is it normal that when rotating the motor by hand (via the timing mark) that the sleeves come up with the piston?

No, the sleeves should not be moving with the piston.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Your sleeves are moving up and down? Thats not good..any marks on the piston of sleeves? Might be rebuilding the top end

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        No, the sleeves should not be moving with the piston.
        Without the head completely in place and torqued down, is it possible that the sleeves moving is normal?

Comment

I've never messed with the engine's guts to that degree, so all this is pure conjecture - but I would think they should absolutely not be able to move at all.

I thought the sleeves on these engines were welded in with some kind of special-snowflake-super-secret coating that made them impossible to resleeve or rebore. I could be thinking of something entirelly different though. This is not my area.

Comment

I think they are interference fit.
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
              I've never messed with the engine's guts to that degree, so all this is pure conjecture - but I would think they should absolutely not be able to move at all.

I thought the sleeves on these engines were welded in with some kind of special-snowflake-super-secret coating that made them impossible to resleeve or rebore. I could be thinking of something entirelly different though. This is not my area.
              The sleeves are specially coated at the factory, which is why they can't be bored over. It's not uncommon to hear of motors being re-sleeved to return to running.

And there's so many designs of sleeve to block out there it's not funny. With Honda, the sleeves on 2000 generation CBR's are meant to move when the head isn't bolted on. Harley's you have to heat up and gently tap the sleeve out (but theirs has ribs that run vertically up the sides of the sleeve to prevent spinning). And in case someone asks, I didn't try to spin one, just pushed it back down into place.

My thought here is that it's going to slide when the head isn't there. When it heats up, the sleeve expands and creates the fit thats needed. But just theory.

Comment

I never rotated a katana motor with the head off, but I'm pretty sure those sleeves are not supposed to move at all.
                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  I never rotated a katana motor with the head off, but I'm pretty sure those sleeves are not supposed to move at all.
                  I've referred to my instructors to gain a little bit of knowledge. The sleeves are a heatup/press in part. Since the part has come loose, it means I've run the motor without oil/let it idle long enough for the heat to build up past the point of no return and it stretched the cylinder walls just enough to allow the sleeve to come loose. I would have to find an oversized sleeve (none made) or a new cylinder bank(been searching).

My other option is to replace the motor. I've looked at the engine swap page and I'd rather go with a direct swap. However, I did have a question, it stated that early gsxr750's would swap. But what is early? Any clue to what that means? I mean, it's kinda vague. I mean, I could say I'll have a motor soon and be on the road soon. Honestly, no way of telling when that is.

Another thing about the swap, does the exhaust match up to some of the motors from the kat? Wouldn't I need a ignitor box for the new motor?

Comment

The years are listed. http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5...rchangeability
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X