Header Bolt Snapped off. @#$%!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header Bolt Snapped off. @#$%!

Has any one broken a header pipe bolt?

I was taking my pipes off to paint. Snapped one of the bolts off. @#$%!

Always take the long way home.

Ugh. get a NEW carbide tip drill bit about half the diameter of the bolt. Drill it out and then hammer in a screw extractor. Oh and have fun!

Comment

And in the future, remember these tips:

(A) Always lightly coat header bolt threads and any other bolt threads that will take extreme temperatures with an anti-seize paste (Moly anti-seize paste is common in the US, copper paste is common in Europe). This will keep this from happening in the future.

(B) If using an anti-seize paste on a bolt, reduce the torque spec for the bolt by 15 to 20%, because the anti-seize paste also acts as a lubricant to reduce the resistance as the bolt turns, and sticking to the original spec may cause it to strip.

(C) Whenever replacing the exhaust headers, the factory service manual calls for replacing the exhaust header gaskets.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

did it break flush with the cylinder head or did the head of the bolt break off? if there is any bolt left sticking out,*lightly* heat the area around the bolt and use vise grips to remove it. if it broke flush, make sure you drill the CENTER of the bolt, this will make life much easier with an extractor. also get the square extractors, the spiral ones are junk. if you end up drilling to remove it, get a tap and clean the threads up before installing a new bolt. most of all take your time, and don't damage the head beyond repair. good luck.

Comment

im in the same situation myself. a buddy of mine told me to drill the center and get an extractor to get that puppy out, if it still doesnt budge, heat the area around the bolt up with a propane torch. another way ive been told, grab a nut that will fit on the bolt and weld it on there, then just take a socket or wrench and go to town, unfortunately, I dont know how to weld

either way its going to suck, im not looking forward to it...

Comment

I know how to weld ... JB Weld !
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
              I know how to weld ... JB Weld !
              :P ......nar

Comment

I had a header bold break on my car once, and luckily there was enough sticking out to weld a nut onto it. Welded the nut, and wrenched it off. Good luck!
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

It helps to use penetrating oil before you drill.

And if you have one, use a left handed drill. You may get lucky and it may back out while drilling.
                  Josh

'97 TL1000S, '91 GSF400 Bandit

Comment

I've had luck using many innovative solutions, such as cutting a slot (in order to use a flat-head impact driver) or squaring the remainder (to use an adjustable wrench or vipe grips). But I do own a tap and die set for a reason...

All that doesn't mean change the fact that properly done, you still need to address the bond issue between the mating surfaces -- heat or cold, plus penetrating oil all help (heat, then soak in the penetrating oil to cool rapidly, and hope the rate of contraction is faster for the aluminum than the steel). Remember that as the aluminum heats, it will push inwards on the bolt, while when the bolt heats, it will push outwards against the aluminum. Hitting it all with an extremely cold carrier (weather from an extremely cold day, lots of ice, etc) should help them pull away from each other at the threads..

PS - have you gotten it out yet?

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

drilling a bolt

hopefully you'll understand this idea. since i rebuild mechanical scales i run across broken bolts/screws all the time.

if i need to drill one out, this is what i do. this only works if you have exposed threads ( or if the bolt breaks less than flush - you can drill out a bolt and insert it )

get a piece of metal and drill a pilot hole, then open the hole, in steps if needed to the tap body size BUT only drill 1/2 way through the metal. tap the hole - and spin it on the broken bolt and use the pilot hole as a guide to find the center of the broken bolt.

tim

Comment

Re: drilling a bolt

Originally posted by trinc
                        hopefully you'll understand this idea. since i rebuild mechanical scales i run across broken bolts/screws all the time.

if i need to drill one out, this is what i do. this only works if you have exposed threads ( or if the bolt breaks less than flush - you can drill out a bolt and insert it )

get a piece of metal and drill a pilot hole, then open the hole, in steps if needed to the tap body size BUT only drill 1/2 way through the metal. tap the hole - and spin it on the broken bolt and use the pilot hole as a guide to find the center of the broken bolt.

tim
                        Excellent idea!!
                        Squidbusters.com Admin

Comment

man, i had this happen to me with 2 bolts on my yamaha shortly after I got it. it's an old bike, and I was trying to put on a new exhaust, and the bolts were so old and rusted that even with penetrating oil, wd40, and everything else under the sun, 2 of them still snapped off. I got some help from a local shop, and they drilled them out for me as I watched, and then just retapped 2 new holes. UGH , what a pain!

Comment

+1 to Venom's left handed drill idea,
                            +1 to Trinc's drilling guide.

I'll repeat the best advice..
                            take your time.

Comment

Working...
                            X