X

what all should I look for

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what all should I look for

I have a 1980 GS750L that I am wanting to get running again. It sat for about 5-6 years. Other than changing tires, oil, checking shocks and things like that, what else should I look at? it was garage kept, looks clean, gas tank is still great condition.

I do plan on getting carbs cleaned, and as mentioned above, replace tires, chain, oil changed, and stator replaced, because I heard the stock one is junk, which I have found out with the dead batteries after about a week in a half.

You're on the right track. After 5-6 years, I pretty much guarantee the carbs are a big bag of fail.

Comment

My first street bike was a 1980 gs 750E. It was sporty for it's time. Then Honda came out with the Interceptor and it was the shit. It was a good bike for me, ran good till I burned up a rod bearing from doing too long of wheelies.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

First thing I would do is look at the brake master cylinders. If the fluid just looks a little dirty, flush clean into it. If it looks REALLY dirty, I would pull both front and back systems and thoroughly clean the masters and the calipers. It is far more important to be able to stop than to go.

Also, pull all the suspension apart and clean and regrease all your bearings, swingarm, wheel bearings, steering stem bearings.

While your breaking ti down for a thorough going through, I would also replace fork seals. Nothing like putting it all back together and then finding your new fork oil dripping on the garage floor.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!!

Current rides
        1993 Suzuki Katana 600
        1981 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Comment

Mine sat for 5yrs and I just tore carbs apart completely. Every Oring and gasket was brittle and flattened. Plan on a complete thorough carb cleaning, take your time it will pay off in the long run. Tons of good info on this site and very knowledgeable people.

Comment

thanks for all the tidbits, I have to admit, I was dead set on going at it, I could see it all in my mind, but getting back on here after being gone for about a year or so, brought back that sweet spot for the kat sitting next to it. It don't need as much work, so I might get it going, atleast first, get me back on a bike, the gs could be a good winter or couple of winter projects.

Comment

Working...
            X