No announcement yet.
X

starter spinning

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I closed back up the clutch chamber, and resealed it. A lot of oil spilled out. But the starter is STILL doing this whine whine start thing.

HELP!

Comment

Originally posted by davekat View Post
      I opened up the oil tank, and I can smell a bit of gas, which I think is left over from when I didn't know the petcock needed a rebuild. Is this an oil issue or is this a starter issue now?
      If there is any gas in the oil, the oil needs to be changed. That may explain why so much oil came from the starter clutch cover. When I opened mine, maybe 1/4 cup came out.

Comment

Originally posted by jetroar17 View Post
        If there is any gas in the oil, the oil needs to be changed. That may explain why so much oil came from the starter clutch cover. When I opened mine, maybe 1/4 cup came out.
        Well, I definitely added a lot more oil. Unfortunately, I don't have a race stand to work on the bike with. So here's my question. I've done a lot of reading, and this is the sound my bike makes, except it does it for about 5 seconds longer.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6asBbIsLxI"]2006 DR650 - Noisy starter - YouTube[/nomedia]

Is this a starter clutch issue, or a starter issue? I bought and installed a brand new, fully charged battery this weekend, and I'm still getting the same problem.

Comment

So I took my bike out for a 200 miler, and near the end, I didn't feather the clutch properly, and she stalled out. So, while rolling down a hill, I put her in neutral to start her up, and all I heard was the whirring of the starter motor. But it wasn't turning over the engine. My friend who was with me helped me out by rolling me, and I had to put her in 2nd, and pop the clutch to get the motor started.

So here's my question. The battery is new. The starter motor sounds like it's working just fine. When I pop her in 2nd while moving, she starts right up.

This has GOT to be the starter clutch, right? So, how do you tighten it down without that special tool that the Haynes manual recommends you to build to do it? Or can I torque the bolt down with the bike in gear and the rear wheel on the ground?
          Last edited by davekat; 10-17-2014, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Well, I did the next best thing. I jammed a really well built screwdriver in between the gear teeth, and torqued down on the wrench, just enough and rotating through the teeth so that I didn't damage them.

She starts up like a trooper now!

Comment

Just for the interest of helping anyone (I know a few years late)
              i had my bike taken into the bike mechanic .

my issue was the starter clutch, 230 bucks Canadian with a new idle gear ( you need both so they mesh together properly) the starter clutch is pressure fit so if you tighten it, it will become loose again so this is a temporary fix...

Comment

Working...
              X