X

The value of Katriders

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The value of Katriders

I was going to reply in the thread but decided that it should be out here on its own.

This series of posts - http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=124968 - explains why I turn my own wrenches as much as possible on anything I own that is not still under warranty.

First I learn what is normal and what isn't about my own equipment, no matter what it is. Places like Katriders are a wonderful resource in this process and can be found for almost anything you might want to work on or learn about. I was on here and asking questions BEFORE I bought my bike, just so I could know what I was getting myself into.

After I educate myself I listen to those who KNOW what they are talking about, who have vast experience in the subject at hand. Then I at least TRY to do things the right way, avoiding the shortcuts that can lead you down a path to wasted time. I'm stubborn and will TRY many times, as long as I think its something I should be able to handle.

If all else fails, if I just can't get it right, then I move on to letting the pros into my life. As an example my most recent project is cleaning the carbs for my '95 600. I did tones of research first, I asked the questions I still had and listened to the responses from those who have demonstrated their knowledge on here in the past. Have I had success yet, we'll see, I haven't put it all back together yet. My "if all else fails" bail out is buying a set from Arsenic as from all reports I've seen on here he puts out a quality product. Any guesses as the where I turned to when I had questions trying to do it myself?

I just couldn't see spending anywhere from $300 to $1200 to have a shop "clean" my carbs. Read too many posts about "clean" carbs not working right straight away. The carbs on my bike were supposedly done six months prior to me buying it but obviously weren't, once I knew what to look for (factory caps still in place over the A/F screws).

Educate yourself.
    Listen to others.
    Learn.
    Do it! Rarely can you make it worse if you are careful.

Mark

From time to time I do say some worthwhile stuff. Not all the time, but it has happened.

Comment

very well said. Ask questions turn the wrenches screw up and ask more questions and figure it out.
      Ride like it's your last ride
      sigpic

Comment

I have come to Katriders with questions about anything and everything. I learn every time. Friends and family here. Friends and family. Bless you all.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Working...
        X