X

Gas is now leaking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas is now leaking

Hello, I have inherited a 2006 750 katana. My dad bought it for my younger brother so that he could teach him how to ride and maintain the bike. Well shortly after my dad bought it he became very ill and was unable to do anything with the bike. He did not want my brother to have the bike since he couldnt teach him how to ride it. So me and my brother have the bike now and want to sell it for as much as we can. The bike was perfect when my dad bought it with 3,000 miles on it. It sat outside for 3 years under a tarp. He would fire it up now and again until one day black smoke came out of it, Maybe from sitting.... The battery is dead. A friend that owns a motorcycle has basic knowledge came over and my boyfriend let him try to jump it from the car and it sounded like it wanted to start. He said it needed gas. Well I took it out of the garage to clean it and noticed there was some gas swooshing around in there when I moved it. So my friend came over again yesterday and drained the fuel line put new gas in it and tried to jump it off again and it did nothing. So he said were just gonna have to get the battery, obviously we need one. So we put it back in the garage and 30 mins later I went back out there and ther was GAS LEAKING ALL OVER THE GROUND!!!!!! Ahhh what a nightmare. I am totally clueless about motorcycles but I have good common sense. He is telling me that the flap in that carburator is stuck open and causing the gas to continuously flow until it over flowed and spilled out onto the ground. Ok i guess that makes sense....But looking back I remembered that after he drained the fuel and tried to jump it off that he had a suddenly fast and surprising reaction, like he was startled about something. But he didnt say anything when I asked what the problem was and I saw him messing with the fuel knob. So a part of me thinks that he put the fuel knob on the prim setting to drain the fuel and then forgot to put it back on the proper setting before he tried to start the bike up. Like I said what he said makes sense but I also have reason to believe that he messed up and doesnt want to tell me. So it was dark we were disoriented from all of the gas and Im not exactly sure where the gas was coming from. When it was on the kickstand it was leaking out right to the left of the kickstand. But when he leveled the bike it was coming from the other side. I have no idea. This guy has some what of an idea. Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know its a lot but thank you

[ame="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190740761885&ssPageNam e=STRK:MESE:IT"]carburetors carbs Suzuki GSX750F Katana 750 98-06[/ame]
    Send me a PM I don't mean to come right out of the gate trying to sell you something, but you said you're clueless. Buying a set of rebuilt carbs will be 100 times easier than trying to fix yours when you have no idea where to start.
    Last edited by arsenic; 04-19-2013, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Arsenic just gave you the fast answer.... Sounds like dirty carbs, faulty float functions and perhaps a petcock that needs rebuilt. Unfortunately letting these bikes sit takes its toll on them.

Where to go from there is up to you, either replace the carbs, give them a THOROUGH cleaning using Carbs 102, or just bite the bullet and sell it as is. The "cheapest" is to do the cleaning yourself. The carbs from Arsenic will cost a bit, but are "plug and play" pretty much.

You may want to check your oil, and make sure that the crankcase isn't filling full of raw gas, if it is I suggest removing the tank, change the oil and don't put any fuel to it until the carbs and petcock are fixed.

Once your past the carbs, you may want to look into pulling the spark plugs, making sure that the cylinders aren't "hydro locked" and replacing the plugs with new ones as the current ones are most likely fouled from drowning in gasoline.

Good luck!
      92' 600- Bought 4th of July 2012

"Out for my own, Out to be free... One with my mind, they just can't see... No need to hear things that they say... Life's for my own to live my own way!!" Metallica- Escape

Comment

Working...
      X