X

Removing ignition from triple tree??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing ignition from triple tree??

The ignition switch (key) looks like its attached to the triple by a swaged end as appose to being bolted on. I'm thinking I need to drill out the ends and then vise grip the remaining bolt out. Has anyone removed an ignition switch from the triple (this is a 93 750)?

OK man this has been done to death..
    Try the search function please...

Comment

I think I heard that Suzuki has a tool you can buy for removing them..... or you can drill it out like most people.

Be careful the bolt and clip are steel (or hardened alloy) and the triple is aluminum so if you get off center it'll eat up fast. Setting a good marker with a punch and using a new bit go a long way Use a small bit (about an 1/8" should do) and only drill down to the clip! You don't need to go all the way through, you just need the clip to release from the stud.
      Go just past the press clip and then pry it out. After you do both sides the ignition will come out and the studs can be unscrewed by hand.
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I used a 1/4 drill bit and drilled the bolt head off and then just took the switch off and took vice grips n took the rest of the bolt out.

Comment

if i recall the suzuki manual says that the nut holding the ignition on the bolt or threads are purposely messed up to detur theft obviously. You could drill them or die grinder with a cut off wheel the nut or use a nut slitter if you can get it into there.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

If you're replacing the swith , just cut stright down through it down to the nut head with a Dremel and cut-off wheel . Cut a slit in the bolt head , use your impact driver to knock it out . Easiest way I've found to do it .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Drilled mine out and replaced with regular bolts after I got the clamp back from the powdercoater....
              Ron
              MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

OK I guess since everyone is suggesting power tools!
                I'll speak up.

Use a hex head screw (allen screw).
                as a socket.. use vise grips to hold the screw.
                It's bog easy, but take off the top tree.
                (also bog easy..)
                And yes, replace with standard screws if you wish..

Comment

Wait till you see the pics of my ignition. I totally demolished her ass. I took a dremel.. failed at that, so I took a drill and drilled holes through the ignition and hammered it off with a screwdriver, then did that on the other side.. got lucky somehow and while i was drilling, the drillbit loosened the bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                    OK I guess since everyone is suggesting power tools!
                    I'll speak up.

Use a hex head screw (allen screw).
                    as a socket.. use vise grips to hold the screw.
                    It's bog easy, but take off the top tree.
                    (also bog easy..)
                    And yes, replace with standard screws if you wish..
                    I dunno , dude . OUrs were so tight and those screws so soft that an impact driver almost didn't work .

Comment

The ones off the rusted out E-bay ignition came right out..
                      :
                      30 second operation..

Comment

I'll have to try that trick next time . Hopefully I can remember it !

Comment

Working...
                        X