Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Merakii View Post
    aluminum bolts on aluminum blocks are a disaster

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
    My job is with the MOTORCYCLE industry. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing. I'm not gonna argue with you or Mo about what I do, feel free to continue stripping things.
    I didn't realize we were arguing over anything.....but now that you mention it, it doesn't matter what industry you work in, galvanic corrosion is universal. no matter what metal you use, it will corrode aluminum. Titanium bolts would be the worst choice as titanium really speeds up the galvanic corrosion process. Stainless will as well, but it's kinda funny how it works. it goes by which is "bigger". for example, you can safely use a stainless steel bolt in an aluminum block, but you can't use an aluminum bolt in a stainless block. there is more stainless than aluminum, so it will just eat away at the aluminum bolt. it's a basic rule of metals....the more noble metal (most resistant to corrosion) will always attack the less noble (least resistant to corrosion) metal.

as for aluminum in aluminum, you will not get that galvanic process, but you will get oxidization between the two, and that can jam a bolt up in a hurry. my bet is that you are using "never seize" or something equivalent on your bolts. if not....well, I am betting if you tried to remove those bolts a couple of years later, you will have fun trying.

nothing wrong with using aluminum bolts....that is not what I am debating. I just think you are fooling yourself if you think aluminum won't seize to aluminum, because it will. you need to use anti-seize on the bolt, or it will seize. and if it does seize......well good luck with that. if you think it is easy to round the head on a steel bolt, try aluminum.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

No shit you use anti-seize. It's kinda like using a torque wrench... you just do it cause you're supposed too. This isn't "how can I cut corners to save a buck?" When you do that it leads to threads about random broken and/or stripped things.

Comment

I was talking in general, and assumed you use anti-seize, but my bet is that at least 7 out of 10 do not.

Comment

I'd say more like 9 out of 10. How many times have you seen a thread involving a broken header bolt? I switched all of those to stainless steel. You STILL need to use anti seize. Stainless steel will gall in aluminum. Anytime you use SS in aluminum, you need anti seize. If you think you won't have an issue because it's stainless, well good luck with that one. : Oh, BTW the stock steel valve cover lots are socket cap screws. Meaning you need an allen wrench too remove them. The aluminum ones are regular hex, they are like 12mm or something like that. Aluminum socket cap screws would suck.
          Last edited by arsenic; 01-13-2013, 12:23 PM.

Comment

I was going to say 9 out of 10 as well, but went with 7 to be conservative. lol

and ya, for sure you need to use anti-seize with SS bolts in aluminum. it's a good idea to use it no matter what the metals.

Comment

Working...
            X