X

FYI Signal Lights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI Signal Lights

I was reading in the state inspection (Texas Only) book and I thought I would share this bit of information that was new to me. Motorcycles are not required to have signal lights even if they came from the factory with them installed. You still would have to use hand signals but if you wanted, you could paint them or put any colored light you want in them.

It was new to me so I figured I would share. Reminder: TEXAS ONLY
    "Push it hard and to the edge... Push your limits and push your luck... Then take it to the next level and push it harder..."
    -Taylor Paul Quimby

I would think that federal DOT code would over-ride that, which I'm fairly certain requires them if they came equiped from the OEM in that fashion.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

We could almost get into a marijuana legality debate right now... lol

Just passing on what I found out, I confirmed it with the regional TSI instructor. Not saying take a hack saw to your signals, just that if you already have, breathe easy... lol
      "Push it hard and to the edge... Push your limits and push your luck... Then take it to the next level and push it harder..."
      -Taylor Paul Quimby

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        I would think that federal DOT code would over-ride that, which I'm fairly certain requires them if they came equiped from the OEM in that fashion.
        This person is right. However, if there are no federal specifics then states can alter their laws to be specific.
        So if federal law doesn't specifically state anything regarding turn signals, other than they must be present, then a state may institute further restrictions (color, location, size, etc).

Sent from my phone

Comment

Most Federal requirements are specific to large quantity manufacturing and sales. They have very little to do with end users and vehicle conditions after purchase. Federal requirements are necessary to meet for vehicles to acquire the DOT road approved stamp for all states. There is not an end user federal law punishment for an individual or small manufacturer’s non adherence to this. (I’ve never seen a federal enforcement office that is specific to vehicle code violation enforcement on the road in this respect, you?) I’ve also not seen a federal office that provides road registration and vehicle tags for individuals.

States individual rights allow for them to set their own individual requirements. Most states then also recognize other states rights to do so, and will not ticket a person if the vehicle meets “code” for the state it is registered in. Some states simply state “must meet federal requirements” or similar type reference, while others don’t mention federal requirements at all and are very specific in their own.

Most states require the DOT approved safety sticker assessment before they will provide state registration; otherwise it remains an “off road” vehicle only. This is why there are some motorcycles that are considered “un-tagable”. The large quantity manufacturer never had the specific model tested and approved for on road use or… acquired the federal stamp. Some states will allow for individual state inspection and tag those vehicles anyways. This is why you might see a TN tagged formerly “Off Road Only vehicle” like the 900cc Razor riding up and down the Dragon as an example.

NC also does not require motorcycles to be equipped with turn signals. Right now I can purchase a brand new motorcycle, remove the turn signals at the dealer, take it directly to a NC State Inspection station, and it will pass inspection with no issue. As long as I use hand signals, I cannot be ticketed either. If they are present on the vehicle, they MUST work. If I remove them entirely, they are not required.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
          X