X

'05 GSX600F starter problem?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '05 GSX600F starter problem?

What's up guys. I believe my starter has taken a dump but not sure. My bike was running bad like I had gotten some bad gas so I pulled the tank, rinsed it several times with good gas, drained the carbs, and installed a new in-line fuel filter. Also, I decided to change the plugs while the tank was off because the old plugs looked pretty bad and installed a new battery too. After reassembly, the bike tried to start once but then started clicking every time after that which was coming from the starter relay. I used a powerprobe and found that the relay was working, getting power and sending power to the starter when I'd hit the starter button. I ended up push starting it and it fired right up, ran and idled fine. I feel confident it's the starter but I'm looking for non-starter suggestions before I go out and break the bank for new starter. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by InTheWoods; 11-26-2012, 06:00 PM.

try putting power straight to the starter...other than that, make sure you battery is charged properly, and check your ground connections...

Comment

Sounds like a text book dead battery. When you got your battery do you know if they filled it on the spot? I recently bought a new battery, which was filled after I bought it, and the guy told me to go home and charge it for 4 hours before using it. I walked out to the parking lot and thew it in the bike. Wouldn't start but gave it a good push start and haven't touched the battery since. Throw it on a trickle charge for a few hours, should be good to go.

There should be no electrical reason for a dead starter to affect riding performance, unless it was locked up and causing to drag on the bike motor, which would have ended much differently.
      1995 Suzuki Katana GSX600F (I was 4 years old when it was made)

Comment

Originally posted by Magruder13 View Post
        Sounds like a text book dead battery

Comment

I just checked my ground and it's good. Ran straight power to the starter and still gettin the clicking noise. So I took off my starter and probably gonna take it apart and check it out. It was a pain in the ass getting the starter out without taking off the carbs though. Haha

Very true. I decided to go with an AGM battery for the same reason(I don't have a charger). I asked and was told the battery didn't need an initial charge so I just threw it in. Also, whenever my problem first started I tried jump starting it with no success and thought my battery was shot which the parts store confirmed after they tested it with a load. The drag ended up being because my plugs were shot and some bad gas. I'll have to charge up my new battery and make sure that's not my problem.
          Last edited by InTheWoods; 11-26-2012, 10:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Oh, and welcome to KR!
            sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
            1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
            2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
            First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
            Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Haha, thanks man!

Comment

Don't rule out the battery yet. Find another good battery (maybe one out of your car) and try that on the starter......and the best way to charge that new battery is to push start it and go for a nice long ride

Comment

Alright, I took the starter apart and found that the brushes were bad. Hope to be back on the road in a few days. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X