Startup - cranks then "seizes", only to crank again

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by lowmaintenance View Post
      (And I'm not following how a carb gasoline overflow spills gas into a sealed oil reservoir since the carb feeds into the combustion chamber above the piston rings)
      The fuel seeps past the rings, it doesn't just sit there.

Comment

Could also explain why it cranks and then "siezes." If you've got gas in the cylinders, it can't compress it and stops the engine from turning. After a while, when the gas seeps past the rings and you try and start it again, the remaining gas vapors in the cylinders ignite and the bike will run until the next time it sits for a long time.
        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Fuel leaks into the cylinder bore ,then leaks past the piston rings and into the oil below, the leaking past the piston rings is called "washing" .This is where it cleans the oil from the rings and bore causing untold wear and possable damage as you start running the engine.Untill the oil is replaced and lubrication continues.

Hydraulicing or hydralock is where enough fuel has leaked into the bore to stop the piston from compressing the fuel mixture and locks the piston from going passed top dead center.this can cause many problems like bent conrods ,valves even snapped timing chains.I've seen many cars with holes in the block from a conrod break and slam through the block wall...all from a severe over fueling... hope this helps explain some towards the reasons for checking the carbs and petcock is so important!
          I'm outa here

Comment

So I'm going to begin the endeavor tomorrow. I expect it'll take a few days, as I figure out the simplest things like how to remove the fuel tank, and as I assess which gaskets and parts need replacing.
            "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein.
            "Everything should be made as simple as possible, with the exception Kat carbs, which should be of infinite complexity." - lowmaintenance

Comment

Working...
            X