X

oil everywhere, helicoil question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil everywhere, helicoil question

Riding to work yesterday morning I noticed the bike just wasn't right and the clutch was feeling off, the farther I went the worse it got. So I pulled over to check it out. To my lovely surprise I see oil all over the right side of the bike. Great, something else to top off an already crappy week.

Now that the bike is home, I got a chance to look her over. One of the top valve cover bolts is completely loose. Not really surprised, this one bolt has been a concern since I got the bike. I noticed when I did a valve adjustment, the threads were half stripped. I thought running a tap thru and using some red loctite would work to semi restore the threads, but apparently not.

So, the only way I can think to fix this bolt hole is with a helicoil. Just wanted to run this buy you all first.

Is there enough meat there to use a helicoil without any issues? It's been well over a year since I pulled the valve cover and can't remember

Also, does anyone happen to know the original bolt size? I don't have time today to strip the bike down, but if I can figure out what size, I can pick up the helicoil while I'm out and about running errands.

Which bolt, If i rember right the center bolts are galley bolts, hollow in the middle. Not sure if you can tap those or not. the others you should be able to, carefully they are bearing caps.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
    X