transmission concerns

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission concerns

Hello all my name is Paul I have a 1989 katana
    750 I had no promlems I bike can run well tested at 240km no problem I replaced
    my clutch cable adjust and re adjusted intermittent clunk or grind going into second gear
    I was wondering if I have to open. Her up and replace a gear or does the unit need a
    clutch assembly even when I shift down from 3 to 2
    I hear weard noises from driveline any help would be
    great I was wondering if it worth taking apart and cleaning up
    Giving it fresh paint in the winter time and one more thing
    having to top up the oil from June to now is that normal
    Any help would be great ...thank you..
    Last edited by Paullick; 10-01-2012, 12:20 AM.

Hello all! My name is Paul and I have a 1989 katana
    750. The bike runs well tested at 240km without any problems. I replaced my clutch cable, adjusted and re adjusted it. I now have an intermittent clunk or grind going into second gear. I was wondering if I have to open up the crankcase and replace a gear, or does the unit need a clutch assembly? Even when I shift down from 3rd to 2nd I hear weird noises from the drive line. Any help would be great! I was wondering if it is worth taking apart and cleaning up (the engine?)? I plan on a fresh paint job this winter. One more thing, I'm having to top off the oil, last oil change was June, is that normal? Any help would be great ...thank you!
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
      Hello all! My name is Paul and I have a 1989 katana
      750. The bike runs well tested at 240km without any problems. I replaced my clutch cable, adjusted and re adjusted it. I now have an intermittent clunk or grind going into second gear. I was wondering if I have to open up the crankcase and replace a gear, or does the unit need a clutch assembly? Even when I shift down from 3rd to 2nd I hear weird noises from the drive line. Any help would be great! I was wondering if it is worth taking apart and cleaning up (the engine?)? I plan on a fresh paint job this winter. One more thing, I'm having to top off the oil, last oil change was June, is that normal? Any help would be great ...thank you!
      Thanks for the translation

My 93 750 doesn't like to shift into second either, particularly if the RPMs are highly unmatched. I.E. if I get really high in first gear then let the engine slow down, the shift is loud and harsh.

As far as downshifting goes, according to one of cyberpoet's older posts, Kats don't like to be downshifted into second and especially first at speeds above I think 25-30, so you should probably avoid doing so unless you rev the engine to match the RPM.

Summary: clunky second gear is in my opinion normal. Although it may be worth going through and making sure your clutch is adjusted properly one more time.

Comment

Working...
      X