X

Idea banging around in the old Melon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea banging around in the old Melon

this popped up on my local kijiji today..

a '94 750 engine.

there really isn't anything wrong with my engine other than it getting up there in miles.

from my reading on the Kat site, this will bolt right in. my only concern is the exhaust as its the dual can style, where as my kat is a post with single sided exhaust. can I swap my header and exhaust onto this engine? If it can be done, what are the potential running issues with switching to single sided?

my 600 carbs are already "jetted" I suppose i could swap those onto the 750 engine? I do believe I read though, that carbs stay with the original engine.

Just trying to work out if it's going to be worth my time. Will i notice a decent performance gain?
    -Brandon

You can swap the dual exhast on, will need to use your current oil pan and come up with a mounting configuration for the left can.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Or you can use a post 750 exhaust, just swap your oil pan an pickup to the new engine.
      And no, don't use 600 carbs on a 750 engine.
      Yes you will definitely notice a gain using a 750 engine in place of a 600.
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

DAMN! I hate temptation! I feel $500 is a little steep to be going in blind. I think $300 would be reasonable I mean around here, Katana's don't sell in good condition and they sure as hell don't sell as parts.

I shall waffle on this for a bit.
        -Brandon

Comment

why not try to get your bike running right before making changes to it?
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Take that $500 and stick it in a savings account. Repeat every time you're tempted to buy another optional upgrade. You said there's nothing wrong with your engine right now so just keep riding it and watch for a good deal on a complete 750. When you find one then use the money in that savings account to buy it and sell your 600 as a complete, running bike.

I know, it's a boring way to do things; none of the drama involved with swapping engines and trying to make a franken-bike work. You've got a running bike now, though. Yes, the pre-Kats make more power than the posts and a 750 is a significantly stronger engine than a 600. The 750 is also a more comfortable bike than the 600 and you wouldn't get that benefit from an engine swap.

For that matter, if you want more power maybe you should be talking to Mojoe about his 1100. In another thread he's talking about either selling it or parting it out. You could have a MUCH more powerful bike in (as I understand it) great condition all ready to go.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

parts katana's don't come up very often where I am at. The nearest cycle salvage is 2 hours away and they haven't seen a katana in over 2 years. I guess I am kind of looking a little further ahead as this may be something i might want to do in the future, what's holding me back is whether or not I will have extra funds next spring after the girlfriend and I have weathered the big c of 2012. If the funds do come available, a new bike will be in the driveway, if not, well a $500 upgrade to my current bike sounds like a good budget boost/winter tinkering time. I can never leave well-enough-alone.

although on the other hand, I could tinker with my current setup for much less than $500

I think I have a problem.
              -Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
                I think I have a problem.
                welcome to the club.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Just dont spend $500 trying to beef up a 600, that's throwing money down the well.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    Just dont spend $500 trying to beef up a 600, that's throwing money down the well.
                    +1 been there done that.
                    1992- project katfighter
                    2005- GSXR750
                    2001- TL1000R
                    www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

I think you're right, it would be like trying to make my Jeep a sports car.

Thanks for talking me off the ledge.
                      -Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                        Yes, the pre-Kats make more power than the posts.........
                        Really? I hadn't heard that before.

1997 Katana 600
                        Sold
                        2006 Katana 600 Salvage

Comment

Originally posted by strolltroll View Post
                          Really? I hadn't heard that before.
                          Ride them back to back, it will be very obvious.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                            Yes, the pre-Kats make more power than the posts
                            There is a lot more to this quote to actually understand what Bill is saying. The pre 98 750 is a short stroke with a bigger bore. It creates more HP out of the box. The 98-06 750 is a long stroke with a smaller bore, it has less HP to begin with. The 600 is the SAME engine. One is silver, one is black. Essentially, that is the only difference. I did say essentially, there are a ton of differences, but nothing making a major difference in HP.

Comment

I'm still dumping, just not down a well. I figure that all i've put into the bike it's still cheaper than a new one, and it is done my way.
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                              X