Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice

'03 600
    9,998 km (6212 Miles).
    Recently (3 weeks ago) was jetted With Ivan's kit and had Carbs cleaned/ rebuilt/synced (keyster kits) done by a shop (If I had the time I would have definitely done it myself) I have a feeling I may have to adjust air-fuel screws.
    Yoshi RS-3 fitted by me. (Yay)

Oh and also, sealed gas tank with POR-15. (Months ago)

Issues:
    Bike requires fiddling around with choke for about 25 seconds to start up regardless of temperature, it'll fire up fine at ~ 1100 rpm, but then bogs down to death without using the choke. Once its 'warm' no problem. Exhaust sounds great. Pops a bit when decelerating. Which (according to past threads) means I'm running lean, and/or leaks near the exhaust. I've pretty much ruled out the leaks as I've checked with started fluid and nothing (I did use the search function!).

So ive narrowed it down to carbs having to be cleaned and synced properly, (by myself) as I've heard many shops don't know how to do it right. Either that or I have a vaccum leak. I am willing to put the time and effort into both of these issues and see them through to the end, using the guides on the site. Only problem is, is I have a very hectic schedule for the next few weeks (getting married, and job is unbelievably busy).

So finally my question is. How terrible would it be if I could only tackle this issue(s) at the end of the month? I really do not want to neglect the situation at all, I'm just wondering if I would/could damage the bike by putting it off for a few weeks. I'm riding it a few times a week. And when riding, there are no noticeable issues (other than the occasional pop from exhaust) . Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for long post and thanks in advance.

So, the bike starts and runs with choke. Dies if you turn off choke too soon. But, runs fine once warm?

I wouldn't worry about it much. But, that's just me. Besides, it's about to get real cold pretty soon in Ottawa, no? You will have plenty of time to fiddle with the bike once the cold weather rolls in.
    Extra life.

Comment

I'd say it's pretty normal. The choke is there for a reason, and if the bike rides fine after 25-30sec...even better. As for the "popping" during deceleration, I get that with my current ride occasionally if I'm riding it hard.....under normal conditions it doesn't do it. Just ride it, and it'll give you something to mess with later (winter) if you have a garage.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I'm running an Ivan kit in my 98 750. A/F screws are at 4 & 1/4 out. I also need to mess with choke until she is warm and then she is fine, Ivan kits state that you need to start at 4 turns out on a/f to start and fine tune from there.
        Ride like it's your last ride
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it. You know what, I may actually check the spark plugs when I have everything off though, I think they are due for a swap.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Comment

Working...
          X