X

Fuel leak

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel leak

Ok, fellow KAt riders. I have this leak under the left outboard carb that seems to drip at the bowl drain screw. Now, I removed the drain screw, only to find there is no O-ring on it. Is this the norm? Furthermore, I noticed on the brass screw some wear(by that I mean the brass color is slightly worn off) I seem to get more when I run the bike of course, but I also thought it might be the rubber boot on the forward side of the carb that connects to the engine. Any thoughts out there???
    Scott

I dont think there is an o-ring on the drain ( Im sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I have my carbs off now and iI dont have them and the carbs dont leak so go figure!!!).
    I would look at the bowl gasket itself as the culprit. It may cause the fuel to drip down to the lowest point on the carb (drain screw), so that it looks like it is comming from there. My 2 cents...
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

"True wisdom, only comes from pain"

Comment

Re: Fuel leak

Originally posted by viclava
      but I also thought it might be the rubber boot on the forward side of the carb that connects to the engine.
      I would hope not! There shouldn't be any liquid fuel going through there... If there is, then you have problems (stuck float valve AND bad petcock) and will probably fill that cylinder up with gas!

/kiba
      find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

Chuck the screw in a drill and polish it with scotch brite..

Comment

Fuel leak

Black_Peter,
          What's the reason for the polish job on the screw? Just to take any unseen roughness?? I appreciate your time to respond.
          Scott

Comment

You SURE that's where it's leaking from ? I had a leak for a while I couldn't track down . I SWORE it was the bowl gasket , then it was the bowl itself , then it was something else . Finally took the carbs off and connected the fuel line to the tank , stuck the thing on prime , and waited for the drips . Turns out it was coming from the inlet "t" deal . There's a little rubber sleeve in there that was done . Food for thought .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

If it looks like it's coming from item #17 in this 96 Kat 750 Carb Diagram , swap the screw with another carb. If that doesn't cure it (and it probably won't), it's almost assuredly the O-rings MD86 is talking about (I think it's item #15 in this 96 Kat 750 Carb Accessories Fiche Diagram for your carbs). They wear out with age and crack -- and when they do, they leak minorly while the engine is running (but the petcock cuts fuel to the carbs when the engine's off if it's working right, so there is a limited amount that can leak in after the engine shuts off).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

leak

Personally I don't think it's the drain screw either. I just think it's running down to the lowest point which just happens to be the drian screw. Thanks.
                Scott

Comment

Could be:

Drain screw
                  Bowl cracked at drain screw
                  Bowl cracked elsewhere
                  Bowl gasket leaking
                  Leak up above that

If you need another bowl or a drain screw, just pay the postage & they're yours!
                  I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                  Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                  Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Working...
                  X