X

Commutator

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commutator

Do the 750 alternators have commutators? My bike stopped charging a couple weeks ago, and I just pulled the brushes. The shaft is completely, 100% shiny, no signs of any bars or anything. I'm having trouble believing that all evidence is gone.

Even the areas between where the brushes ran show no signs of a commutator. Just a flat surface (albeit not shiny).

Also: what's the "maximum" brush length? I know they sell brushes at sears, I don't want to end up buying one that's too long and won't fit.

Pic:

chances are it's the regulator, the brush contact area looks ok, feel for roughness use fine sand paper to smooth surface before replacing brushes. what voltages are you getting with the engine running?
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      chances are it's the regulator, the brush contact area looks ok, feel for roughness use fine sand paper to smooth surface before replacing brushes. what voltages are you getting with the engine running?
      Was not getting any charging at all. As in whatever voltage the battery could pump out.

My main concern though is whether the shaft should be shiny like that, as I expected that it would have ridges. I planned on checking the regulator as well, since it's off already.

Comment

It's technically a generator I think. The alternator, regulator and rectifier are all built into one unit that sends DC directly to the battery.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The shaft looks fine enough... i have seen enough alternators in my 17 years as a mechanic... It isn't gouched or scored...

As far as the brushes go, you can always cut then down with a razor...
          "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Working...
          X