No announcement yet.
X

Tank sealer/cleaner (creem, por15, ect)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank sealer/cleaner (creem, por15, ect)

Has anyone tried any of these products to clean then seal the tank? I have an older used tank on the way and am planning on using something like this. Let me know your experiences with these products. thanks
    Joel

I know I made a comment in your other thread about POR-15, but I must admit I have not used it on my bike yet. I am trying to get the kit so I can do it this winter. I have used the regular POR-15 on replacement sheetmetal used on vehicles though. I am really surprised nobody has responded yet.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

I used distilled water/bb's to knock the rust out , then Red Kote to seal the tank . 2 years later and it still seem ok .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

One of our members out in Oregon (Daithi) has used the POR-15 kit and was very pleased. I've used their other products and won't hesitate to recommend them.

As for Kreme, RedKoat, I've seen examples of both breaking down after a few years and ending up in the fuel system, clogging filters and carbs. It takes quite a while to happen (if it happens at all), but having seen it occur more than once was enough to convince me never to do it. The good thing is that the POR-15 kit will work to remove the other two (Kreme, RedKoat) and then do it right.

A number of users have also reported good sucess with Yamaha's Fuel Tank Rust Remover (which doesn't seal at all -- just strips out the rust).

Personally, I've gone the sand and water method once in the past, but that was almost 20 years ago -- these days, I'd get the POR-15 solution.

You can find all the details on all of these solutions at CyberPoet's How to Deal with a Rusty Motorcycle Gas Tank page, at MotorcycleAnchor.com

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just noticed that the link on CP's website to the POR-15 Tank product is outdated while searching for info on the sealing process.

I think what the correct link for the MC tank kit is here [POR-15.com]
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out... webpage updated!

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have a question about the por-15. Does it seal small holes or cracks in the tank? The reason I ask is that for the past couple of weeks I would always catch a whiff of gas every now and then while at work, I finally noticed it was on my pants on the inside of my thigh/knee. So I look at my tank and on the right side at the corner where your leg presses, a small portion of the paint looked like it was bubbled and discolored (less than a dime size). There's not a noticeable drip or anything, more of a seep, i.e. the gas evaporates before enough builds up to become a droplet. I looked in my tank and there seems to be a little rust, so I'm wondering if that corner of the tank has rusted through a bit from the inside. Also, the dampness of the area seemed to increase when I ran Techron through my tank. Would POR-15 seal up the spot? Please say yes, cause I probably can't afford a new tank or having the old tank fixed and then repainted.

Thanks,
              bama
              What the deuce!?!

Comment

Boner,i have used Por-15 for many years on the old British bikes.I have had zero complaints,it's a great product,be sure and protect your paint work as this stuff will not come off if spilled,trust me. If this is a start from scratch tank job, seal first, paint after

P.S. Be sure tank is completely dry when adding the epoxy resin.
                Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

Originally posted by bamarama
                  I have a question about the por-15. Does it seal small holes or cracks in the tank? The reason I ask is that for the past couple of weeks I would always catch a whiff of gas every now and then while at work, I finally noticed it was on my pants on the inside of my thigh/knee. So I look at my tank and on the right side at the corner where your leg presses, a small portion of the paint looked like it was bubbled and discolored (less than a dime size). There's not a noticeable drip or anything, more of a seep, i.e. the gas evaporates before enough builds up to become a droplet. I looked in my tank and there seems to be a little rust, so I'm wondering if that corner of the tank has rusted through a bit from the inside. Also, the dampness of the area seemed to increase when I ran Techron through my tank. Would POR-15 seal up the spot? Please say yes, cause I probably can't afford a new tank or having the old tank fixed and then repainted.

Thanks,
                  bama

I am pretty sure it will work for you as the hole ie very small,the resin you add at the last step, is honey like in concistency.
                  Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

IMHO: replace the tank ASAP, even if means an used mismatched or merely primered and slightly dented tank. I'm sure BraadaJim has some on hand, and if not, they go fairly cheap on eBay in better condition than yours is...

Any tank that is weak enough to have fuel leaking through it is ready to give out totally in a spill or a bike fire, and shed it's whole contents all over you, which could be absolutely catastrophic (might as well be driving a pinto backwards at triple-digit speeds!).

That said, yes, the POR-15 will seal it up so that no fuel gets at that spot -- until you stress the tank in a spill or a fire.

Be smart.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I did the creem process two weeks ago looks good will have to see if it holds out

Comment

The directions state to fix and fill and problem areas before applying the kit.

Direct Link to the instruction kit [POR-15.com]
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Also if anyone has some tips on sealing the holes up I'd be glad to hear it.

I plugged the holes with plastic, covered that with electrical tape, then taped over that with duct tape.

The acid wash leaked right through all of that in about 20 minutes.

Tomorrow I'm doing the metal prep and sealing. Hopefully that's not as bad...
                          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

use the yamaha kit I've used both the products you talked about. Actully POR 15 is made to remove that creme stuff. But the yamaha tank clean is the best no question

Comment

Originally posted by steves
                              Also if anyone has some tips on sealing the holes up I'd be glad to hear it.

The acid wash leaked right through all of that in about 20 minutes.

Tomorrow I'm doing the metal prep and sealing. Hopefully that's not as bad...
                              We took aluminum foil and plastic wrap, covered the petcock with it, and screwed it back into place. For the other holes, we basically used the same two-layer approach and safety wired it into place.

If you're talking about spots where the tank is rusted through and the acid eating through the tank wall, you're screwed... sorry to be blunt... the only solution is to clear the tank and dry it completely, then reweld it (which in my book means cutting it open, sanding/grinding it, then welding up material from the inside and finally rewelding it shut & pressure-testing it) -- which makes sense for a tank you can't get a replacement for any more, but doesn't make sense for a tank you can easily replace. I know the guys over at EmpireGP.com can do this kind of work for you, but I doubt it would be cost-effective compared to simply getting a replacement tank.

Originally posted by arsenic13
                              use the yamaha kit I've used both the products you talked about. Actully POR 15 is made to remove that creme stuff. But the yamaha tank clean is the best no question
                              POR-15 offers two different tank kits. Once includes the Kreem/RedKoat remover, the cheaper of the two doesn't.

The Yamaha stuff was good, and we used that as well (for about 7 times as long as the original instructions recommended), but the POR-15 solution means never having to worry about the problem cropping up again in the future...

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X