X

Egnine high reved, pop, and now...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egnine high reved, pop, and now...

Ok, so its a lot of details for what happened in about a second. I was rolling backward out of my driveway and starting my bike. I got hit by a strong gust of wind (it is stupid windy in Albuquerque - just yesterday I had to pick my bike off the ground after class because the wind blew it over) and it almost blew me over, so I let off the starter button, and grabbed the front brake. Unfortunately, the bike started as I let off the starter (first time I regret how well my bike starts... damn you carb's, be more reliable in not being reliable!), and that would have been alright aside from the fact that I must have grabbed the brake retarded or something, but the throttle went full open, instantly rev'ed past redline, popped, and I hit the kill swith all at once. I made a second mistake by putting the kill switch back into the run position (I don't know why/how, maybe my hand slipped as my brain wasn't processing the sounds and what not yet) and it turned itself back over with the momentum of the engine, and it popped again. Both pops sent smoke out of the tail pipes (stock).

I sat for a second, collected myself and tried to start the bike again. It started just fine. I rode it up the street. Parked it, looked it over, looking for oil leaks (thinking I may have cracked the head/head gasket) or anything else. It rode fine. It looked fine. It smelt fine. But it sounds way different. The exhaust is low and throaty now. Honestly, it sounds like I want it too, kind of like a Vance exhaust. But, this is not the way to go about it.

I rode it back, parked it in the garage. It seems fine. Starts fine. I tested the headers to make sure each cylinder was firing. They are all firing. I put my hand behind the tail pips... and the right (passenger side) tail pipe feels normal, pressure wise, but the other pipe barely feels like breath. The left side pipe, the one that feels light, also has exhaust leaks from little things like being laid down before, and the kick stand not being tight enough so it rubbed a hole in the mid pipe over the years.

My room mate suggested that it could have cracked/destroyed the baffle in the exhaust. I guess that kind of makes sense. What I want to do is get a compression test though... and see if I blew a piston ring(s).

So... there you have it. Oh, and there is no smoke, no loss in power. Everything feels fine, looks fine and all that... but it just sounds so different, it's like it's not even my bike.

What could cause this? What could have gone wrong?

Thank you,
    Adam

any rattling from the muffler?

Comment

You don't have engine problems.

You Might have cause some changes in the exhaust. If it's not leaking, then it's also not really a problem.

Another way of repeating what you did was ... drive down the road in 1st gear, get up to about 9-10k rpms and then let off throttle at the same time hit the kill switch... count to 2, then turn the kill switch back on. BOOM! You just shot flames out your tail pipe(s).

Basically... your kill switch stops the spark plugs from firing the exhaust, so it fills with fumes, then when you turn it back on... those fumes go boom, in the exhaust. It's not an engine issue.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well, I just went and shook the mufflers, shook the bike, and tapped them with a rubber mallet. No rattling. I don't think it's impossible that whatever may have broke (if something has) got shot out.

Why do you think there's nothing wrong with the engine? I just want to understand, I'm not trying to be argumentative.
        It wasn't the kill switch that worried me, it was my bike going farther into redline than it has ever gone before. That, and the loud pops that accompanied the situation. My bike hasn't ever even back fired once. I don't know if it was a back fire, but I can't guess what else it might have been.

That, and I wonder why it sounds so different now...

I try to baby her... she's my only means of transportation. I've put just about 30K on her in the couple of years I've had her, so this is very concerning to me.

In advance, I apologize. This is right before finals, and I bet I'm not being totally rational yet. Thank you for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by lostinlunacy View Post
          Well, I just went and shook the mufflers, shook the bike, and tapped them with a rubber mallet. No rattling. I don't think it's impossible that whatever may have broke (if something has) got shot out.

Why do you think there's nothing wrong with the engine? I just want to understand, I'm not trying to be argumentative.
          It wasn't the kill switch that worried me, it was my bike going farther into redline than it has ever gone before. That, and the loud pops that accompanied the situation. My bike hasn't ever even back fired once. I don't know if it was a back fire, but I can't guess what else it might have been.

That, and I wonder why it sounds so different now...

I try to baby her... she's my only means of transportation. I've put just about 30K on her in the couple of years I've had her, so this is very concerning to me.

In advance, I apologize. This is right before finals, and I bet I'm not being totally rational yet. Thank you for your input.

Happy to explain...

Your bike has a rev limiter that will prevent the engine from over reving. It's part of the CDI. The limiter stops the rev before the RPMs get to a point that it would damage the engine. While it's anoying as f@#k to me for someone to constantly rev out thier engine to the point of hitting the limiter, the design is meant for that to not cause any damage to the engine. The only times I know of that this has been a problem was due to constantly doing it with no movement to cool the engine and it was overheating that caused problems... not that the engine was at higher rpms (course, more the rpms, the more heat is generated... ).

As for the sound... it's called afterfire. Backfire is through the carbs. Afterfire happens all the time. Ever gotten the engine higher up in rpms and let off the throttle... hear the "pop pop... pop... pop..." sounds? Those are exactly the same thing, just smaller explosions of the unburnt fumes in the exhaust.

AGain, if you wanna do a large one, see the prior instructions.

As for those instructions... my bike is a 93... and I'll annoy the heck out of you riding behind me in a tunnel, because I shoot those fireballs out just about every time. It's caused no engine issues at all ever.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

What Krey said. Filled with fumes and backfired. If everything is in working order than ok. May have knocked a little packing loose in exhaust. No big deal. At least you didn't blow the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              As for the sound... it's called afterfire. Backfire is through the carbs. Afterfire happens all the time.

Comment

Ok, after fire... that makes sense. I've never had that 'pop pop pop' on my bike, but I know what you're talking about.

Apparently I'm more of a grandpa rider than I thought - I've never gone into the red before, just up to it. I had no idea a bike as old as ours would have a limiter. Honestly, I didn't even think they did that on carbureted anything.

So... sounds like everything should be ok... I was planning on buying a new exhaust for my bike with my next financial aid check anyway lol, this is just a little more persuasion.

*** in my defense about not being entirely boring on my bike, there are a ton of mountain towns outside Albuquerque with windy roads... and I have worn down my foot pegs going through the curves. Just so I don't sound like I don't have any fun with my bike.

Thanks a lot Krey, I appreciate it. I'm a starving college kid that lives no where near school... so my bike is essentially more important than home to me.

Comment

Working...
                X