X

Question for experienced riders/mechanics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for experienced riders/mechanics

I'm in the process of getting my first bike, been looking for a while and I like the katana 600 for my first one. My problem is that I found a very cherry looking one a couple hours away from me for a good price, the problem however lies in the engine. I talked to guy for a few minutes and he had the oil pan replaced among other things, and had the engine flushed. I asked him why and he said the previous owner filled the crankcase with gas thinking it was the gas tank????

Not a clue how you can manage to accidentally do this. Anyways he said that immediately after buying had someone come over and do all the work, clean it, flush it, and check the engine out. He said they did a compression test and it came back solid. Said there was no flakes anywhere and the only thing they could see was a bit of rust right inside the oil cap hole.

I've rebuilt several engines and know how detrimental gasoline can be to the bottom end of an engine. I'm simply asking here to confirm my fears or to push me in the right direction. I dont want to buy a headache, and I dont want to buy a bike that I'm gonna have to replace the engine on.

Whats the worst case scenario here for this bike?
    Most likely case?

Any comments from personal experience would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys and hopefully in a couple weeks I'll be out there riding with you guys.
    Last edited by lizardsbb; 07-18-2012, 04:13 PM.

I would just change the oil a few times and ride it
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The problem is its a 3 hour drive from me, so I'd be going down to pick the bike up. Wouldnt be able to ride it first because I'm getting my license after lol

Getting my permit in the next couple days

But you think the engine would be ok? what if it was ridden like that a bit?

Comment

Did they fill it with gas or is it a carbs/petcock problem that caused this? I agree with changing the oil and it should be fine. I would however look into those things.

Comment

I'm aware of the possibility that the carbs/petcock could be causing the gas to seep past the rings, however he purposefully pointed out that the previous owner legitimately believed that the crankcase was the tank. And was proud that $10 filled it......
          Last edited by lizardsbb; 07-18-2012, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lizardsbb View Post
            I'm in the process of getting my first bike, been looking for a while and I like the katana 600 for my first one. My problem is that I found a very cherry looking one a couple hours away from me for a good price, the problem however lies in the engine. I talked to guy for a few minutes and he had the oil pan replaced among other things, and had the engine flushed. I asked him why and he said the previous owner filled the crankcase with gas thinking it was the gas tank????
            This doesn't make sense. No way anyone's that stupid. Walk away and keep looking.
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, the only reason I've been considering it after finding out about that is the overall condition of the bike. It looks immaculate and only has about 13k miles

Comment

There are lots of bikes out there. The current owner did all of that work to sell it? Why change the oil pan? I would walk away if I were you.

Comment

Well, if you're serious about it and can't ride it because you don't have a permit, then ask him to take it out for a 1/2hr ride while you follow him at speed in your car/truck. Have him go somewhere where he has to open it up to about 10k in 6th for awhile and check out what the bike sounds/looks like when you get back to his place. Show him the cash ahead of time, and if he gives you some lame excuse....walk away.
                  Last edited by Slofuze; 07-18-2012, 04:47 PM.
                  89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                  96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I'll give that a shot, see if he would be willing to do it. When I called him today I asked if he'd taken it out for any ammount of time after the work and he said no. He said he was gonna take it out today. So after work I'll get ahold of him and see what he says

Comment

You didn't mention year or price range that I saw, but... that said...

If gas in the engine was the only concern, I would't be concerned. It happens all the time on these bikes due to the carbs. Normally the only real issue is catching it before you damage the clutch plates, and that would take a bit of running to do.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well I dont have a particular year, I found one locally 1997 thats a bit rough around the edges, needs paint on the front fairings, brake lever, ignition replaced because they lost the key (they have the paperwork in their name), passenger mirror, and it has 44K miles.

This one is 3 hours away and a little cheaper, almost pristine cosmetically and only 14K miles but this issue, forgot to ask what year

And another 1991 that is about the same price, leaking fuel from somewhere, reg expired last year, and its been laid down and needs a few things as well

They're all GSX600's I dont want anything larger, especially for a first bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                          You didn't mention year or price range that I saw, but... that said...

If gas in the engine was the only concern, I would't be concerned. It happens all the time on these bikes due to the carbs. Normally the only real issue is catching it before you damage the clutch plates, and that would take a bit of running to do.

Krey
                          True enough, Krey. But based on the OP it seems as if he was told someone poured gas directly into the crankcase after the tear-down. Sorry man...it just doesn't add up to me, and I truly know you're a great resource. It's just how I interpreted it. Peace.
                          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I would say walk if it where me... I spent a while looking and found a steal. My bike is an 04 katana i found it on craigslist for $2500 it had 4,000mi. I bought it for 2,000 cash in hand. The only issue it had was a seized choke cable. 30 bucks done. I just past 10,000mi not one issue. Trust me good deals will come.

Comment

if it just has gas in it because of the carbs i would grab it up.. but as slofuze mentioned it takes some kind of stupid to think the small oil filler hole is the gas tank instead of the big bulbous metal tank on top of the bike.

as krey said these bikes get gas in the crank all the time because the carbs can leak. other than carb issues, and electrical issues there pretty solid (just remember any old bike will need lots of attention)
                              if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Working...
                              X