X

too much heat in around the oil cooler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too much heat in around the oil cooler

Okay, here's the problem. When I bought the bike a couple years ago, the right front fairing just below the oil cooler lines was warped. Well over time it has gotten worse a little at a time. I was changing out some fasteners and going over the bikes for loose fittings etc, and noticed a small warping on the clutch side in the same place. I have had a lot more stop and go riding lately, which doesn't help, but I just wanted to get some feedback on addressing the excess heat issue and has anyone had this issue.

Never had an overheated to shut-down situation.

Running Shell Rotella-T oil Going to AMSOIL
    Yosh Full-system
    K&N Pods
    Stage 2/3 jetting
    Ignition advancer
    Running slightly rich at start-up

All thoughts welcome.
    AMA member # 224227

Solutions:

Move out of Texas.

Get rid of your fairings

Add some fans.

Check to see if you have the heat foil.
    There should be insulation with a shiny foil
    inside the fairings at the hot spots.
    I also see you are running a jet kit and ignition advance. This will run you hotter..

Comment

If it's hot enough to warp the fairings, I'd be leary of either a very minor leak (spraying hot oil under pressure, or dripping the same) or someone having fixed the fairings in that location with something that wasn't as temp-sturdy as the stock fairing ABS. Not all ABS is the same temp grade (how long it was cured during the fabrication plays into it).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
        Solutions:

Move out of Texas.

Get rid of your fairings

Add some fans.

Check to see if you have the heat foil.
        There should be insulation with a shiny foil
        inside the fairings at the hot spots.
        I also see you are running a jet kit and ignition advance. This will run you hotter..
        BP:

I should have expected as much from you!

The foil is there, and that is where it is warped/warping, right on the trailing edge.

CP:

I don't see any oil or have I found any drips. I do believe the fairing are the original '96 models.

Thanks guys.
        AMA member # 224227

Comment

Originally posted by Meikol2
          CP: I don't see any oil or have I found any drips. I do believe the fairing are the original '96 models.
          The other obvious causes would be whatever cylinder is running closest running exceptionally lean, such that the exhaust from that one pipe is running very hot (a laser thermal sensor after a hard ride should tell you definitively), or the header pipes are non-stock and are passing closer the fairing than the original designs.

Hmmmm...

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X