X

Downshifting?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downshifting?

It seems lately when i downshift a bit early (not wheel lock early) that my back end seems to click once, and sometimes when i roll on the throttle than roll off the same thing happens. I didnt know if it was the chain being loose or a potentially bigger issue i should keep a look out for, Anyone have a similar problem?

Start with the easy stuff first....as in adjust your chain.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Could that be what is making the sounds?

Comment

You won't know until you do it.
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Sounds like the chain is tight, have you measured the laxity of the chain?

Comment

Wow...Just checked it today since i couldnt for awhile since there was a buncha storms, and its LOOSE as all hell, almost hanging down. I didnt measure but im thinking there has to be 2+ or so inches of give on it, im thinking the slack is whats making the noise whenever it tightens when i downshift. Well theres todays project...

Comment

Originally posted by katgolddigger View Post
              Well theres todays project...
              ...15 mins including clean wax and adjust...
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                ...15 mins including clean wax and adjust...

Well it would have been but the swing arm wasnt lined up, the moron who last adjusted bent the little metal plate there, so it was alot of adjusting and testing. it took only an hour but she runs SOOOOO much better now.

Comment

Wow...Just checked it today since i couldnt for awhile since there was a buncha storms, and its LOOSE as all hell, almost hanging down. I didnt measure but im thinking there has to be 2+ or so inches of give on it, im thinking the slack is whats making the noise whenever it tightens when i downshift. Well theres todays project...
                  not to be an a$$ or anything, but that is a pi$$ poor excuse. you could have easily taken a look at your chain the moment you got off your bike the last time you rode it, when I assume you heard the sound.

I am going to take it easy on you because you are a new member and all, and I assume a new rider as well seeing as an experienced rider probably would have checked the chain before having to ask any questions. it's just something you said that is rubbing me the wrong way....

I didnt know if it was the chain being loose or a potentially bigger issue i should keep a look out for
                  idk....I just don't get it. I guess I am just sensing laziness. you didn't check the chain when you heard the sound....you didn't check it after the fact and before posting here, and for some reason can't go out in the rain for all of 2 minutes to take a quick look. PLUS, by the sounds of it, you haven't taken a look at that chain for quite some time if it is hanging down 2 inches.

all I can say it's a good thing someone answered your "question" and gave you that little push you needed to finally take a gander at that chain, because I wouldn't have even bothered. I am all for helping out a fellow rider with advice, which I believe to have a lot to offer from my 30+ years experience....but they have to make an effort, which I sense a total lack of from you. so my advice to you is keep on eye on your chain from now on, so that you don't have to ask anymore questions about your chain, before even looking at it yourself.

Like I said before...don't mean to be an a$$, but c'mon! you must get where I am coming from. you went about the whole thing azz backwards. it's like Scotty said....chain maintenance is a 15 minute job, tops. it's basic knowledge that EVERY bike owner should know and practice, and a post like this should not even exist.
                  Last edited by Mojoe; 06-21-2012, 05:38 PM.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

^+1

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                      not to be an a$$ or anything, but that is a pi$$ poor excuse. you could have easily taken a look at your chain the moment you got off your bike the last time you rode it, when I assume you heard the sound.

I am going to take it easy on you because you are a new member and all, and I assume a new rider as well seeing as an experienced rider probably would have checked the chain before having to ask any questions. it's just something you said that is rubbing me the wrong way....

idk....I just don't get it. I guess I am just sensing laziness. you didn't check the chain when you heard the sound....you didn't check it after the fact and before posting here, and for some reason can't go out in the rain for all of 2 minutes to take a quick look. PLUS, by the sounds of it, you haven't taken a look at that chain for quite some time if it is hanging down 2 inches.

all I can say it's a good thing someone answered your "question" and gave you that little push you needed to finally take a gander at that chain, because I wouldn't have even bothered. I am all for helping out a fellow rider with advice, which I believe to have a lot to offer from my 30+ years experience....but they have to make an effort, which I sense a total lack of from you. so my advice to you is keep on eye on your chain from now on, so that you don't have to ask anymore questions about your chain, before even looking at it yourself.

Like I said before...don't mean to be an a$$, but c'mon! you must get where I am coming from. you went about the whole thing azz backwards. it's like Scotty said....chain maintenance is a 15 minute job, tops. it's basic knowledge that EVERY bike owner should know and practice, and a post like this should not even exist.

Yeah i respect what your saying but yes you did come off sounding like an ***, with that also no offense. As for my mistake, i bought the bike before i had the knowledge to check such...long story short when i went to check the bike out and even when i finally bought it i brought an experienced friend with whom i expected to check such things, but as you can see failed.

This has been an adventure/dream that has been years in the making and i will be the first one to say i am a complete noob to bikes. An as i am completely alone in this venture, i do not have ANYONE to count on or to help, expect members here who can offer some patience guidance until i learn all the ropes.

As for laziness, i find that to be total b.s. ignorant - yes, lazy...HELL no. I do what i can within my means to make that bike run amazing and keep up with everything i can. It wasn't all my fault i got beater bike (again friend should cue'd into these things, as well as i shouldn't have rushed into it as i did) and now im slowly trying to fix everything that was wrong with it in the first place (which was A LOT), and fix it PROPERLY.

As in my posting, if i annoy or are not welcomed, than consider me done. I joined to find camaraderie and help, and hope sometime soon i can be of the same help to someone who followed into my misguided foot steps.

Apologies.

Comment

Glad to hear you're up and running again. Bikes are a learning curve.
                        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Yeah i respect what your saying but yes you did come off sounding like an ***, with that also no offense. As for my mistake, i bought the bike before i had the knowledge to check such...long story short when i went to check the bike out and even when i finally bought it i brought an experienced friend with whom i expected to check such things, but as you can see failed.

This has been an adventure/dream that has been years in the making and i will be the first one to say i am a complete noob to bikes. An as i am completely alone in this venture, i do not have ANYONE to count on or to help, expect members here who can offer some patience guidance until i learn all the ropes.

As for laziness, i find that to be total b.s. ignorant - yes, lazy...HELL no. I do what i can within my means to make that bike run amazing and keep up with everything i can. It wasn't all my fault i got beater bike (again friend should cue'd into these things, as well as i shouldn't have rushed into it as i did) and now im slowly trying to fix everything that was wrong with it in the first place (which was A LOT), and fix it PROPERLY.

As in my posting, if i annoy or are not welcomed, than consider me done. I joined to find camaraderie and help, and hope sometime soon i can be of the same help to someone who followed into my misguided foot steps.

Apologies.
                          no offense taken....I am well aware I can come across as an azz to those who are even slightly sensitive.

with that said....well, ignorant was my other option. I wasn't quite sure which way to go...lazy or ignorant. so, I just decided to go with the one I thought would offend you less.....and I guess it was the wrong choice.

but hey....the good news is that ignorance is an easy fix. all it requires is a little knowledge, where as lazy is just lazy....and usually stays that way.

so let me start again with some fresh advice.....start working on your "ignorance". there is a manual for download for your bike, and it has all kinds of useful information to help you cover your basics. and no...don't leave. there is no need for that. don't let me scare you away. once you get to know me...or I should say IF you get to know me, you will know my intentions are good, even if a bit hard to swallow at times.

this forum is full of knowledgeable folks willing to help out....including myself. I just happen to be one of the few who will speak up when I think one could be doing more to help him or herself. so dl that manual, and study all the maintenance stuff until you know it by heart. like I said before....all bike owners should know this stuff.....unless you are the type who just feels like leaving all to the dealership. I don't think you are though, or the bike would be at said dealership, and you would not be asking advice on here.

so there you go. nothing wrong with being ignorant when it comes to bike mechanics. we have been ignorant on the subject at one point in our lives. you just need to read and ask questions......but reading first is suggested. especially routine maintenance.
                          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

^cool running mon!
                            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Oh i do read, i try to spend a decent amount of time on here just learning, and taking in all the information i can. I find ignorance much more of a positive, its not a 'bad' thing to have a lack of knowledge about a particular thing, but laziness suggests the lack of respect and attentive 'caring' (if you will).

As for the manual, i thought the dl version for the pre-kats wasnt working anymore? As for THAT fix i ordered one off of ebay awhile ago and am awaiting it (That was my friends first piece of advice he gave me). Which i do intend on reading.

I can only imagine the opinions of many of you on here with xx,xxx or whatever amount of posts getting sick of individuals coming here and going asking the same questions, and i do apologize if its a repeat, i thought there was more to my problem than the chain.

As before, i'll continue working on it as much as i can and hopefully avoid a similar circumstance. The last thing i want to do is burn bridges and than show up at a rally someday (Would make it interesting for everyone else tho!).

And lastly, thank you, and everyone for the help. I do appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X