X

Burned oil smell

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burned oil smell

My oil inspection window appears to have gone up suddenly and pass de level, it looks like my kat is leaking oil from the bottom and everytime i use it, it smells like burned oil. Any suggestions?
    Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

You might have overfilled. In that case, empty some out as best as you can. you definitely don't want to overfill.

Comment

(A) If the oil level appears to have gone up (rather than down), you may have a stuck carb float leaking fuel into the oil. Check to make sure the petcock is not on PRIME, and if it is, set it back to ON and then get ready to tackle the carbs.
      (B) If the oil level appears to have gone down, the question becomes what kind of riding have you been doing (i.e. - traffic jams, idling in one spot for 20+ minutes) that might have overheated the oil, and/or what kind of oil are you using?

The correcct way to check the oil on your bike is rather involved:
      Put the bike on the centerstand on a flat spot, run the engine a few minutes, shut down, and check the oil level 45 to 60 seconds later -- that is the accurate reading. Needs to be between low and full at that point. If it's past full, but drops below low when running, don't sweat it too much. If it's still higher than low when running, you overfilled significantly and need to take some of the oil back out (drain plug or vacuum pump into the oil fill cap).

If you recently knocked the bike on it's side or turned it upside down, you may have leaked oil into your air passages (and may have leaked fuel into your oil as well). This is common.

If you had the valve cover off recently (valve adjustment) and took off the small plate on the top of the valve covers -- and for some reason forgot to stick the flat plastic shield back under that cover when you bolted it back up -- it would be sucking oil in quantity into your airbox.

Finally, your airbox has a drain tube (the capped tube that comes out by your right foot). This drain should be opened with the bike off and drained when you do an oil change (never uncap with the engine running). It should drain a shotglass or less of fluid -- if it drains significantly more than that, there is a serious issue, such as a burnt valve, bad rings, or you're missing that plastic shield I mentioned in the previous paragraph... Recap the drain tube off before starting the bike.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thank you very much Cyber, i'll check all of this tomorrow morning.
        Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

Working...
        X