X

Issue with the key

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with the key

So when I bought my 1999 Katana, I was informed that none of the original keys were available for it. When the previous owner regained possession of it (divorce), his ex-wife lost the keys. As such, he had a mold made from the bike for the needed key.

I had multiple copies made of this key and have had to switch them out as they wear down (bike would not go from off to on or i could not unlock the forks).

Today I found that the last fresh cut key (used for about 2 months --- others lasted about 4-5 each) wont immediately unlock the forks. I have to wiggle it and try for about 5 minutes until it unlocks .

I am trying to figure out a better solution to this issue. Is it just that the keys just keep wearing down? Or is it possible it is the bike? Currently I am trying to find a way to get it to work smoothly with the current keys - as i said the most recent key has only been used for 2 months.

All input is appreciated. (It is very important to me to be able to lock the forks as I work some night shifts in a building where I can't see the bike from the window).
    Last edited by KatanaAg12; 06-16-2012, 08:25 AM.

Originally posted by KatanaAg12 View Post
    So when I bought my Katana, I was informed that none of the original keys were available for it. When the previous owner regained possession of it (divorce), his ex-wife lost the keys. As such, he had a mold made from the bike for the needed key.

I had multiple copies made of this key and have had to switch them out as they wear down (bike would not go from off to on or i could not unlock the forks).

Today I found that the last fresh cut key (used for about 2 months --- others lasted about 4-5 each) wont immediately unlock the forks. I have to wiggle it and try for about 5 minutes until it unlocks .

I am trying to figure out a better solution to this issue. Is it just that the keys just keep wearing down? Or is it possible it is the bike? Currently I am trying to find a way to get it to work smoothly with the current keys - as i said the most recent key has only been used for 2 months.

All input is appreciated. (It is very important to me to be able to lock the forks as I work some night shifts in a building where I can't see the bike from the window).
    I don't have a stock key for mine either. Lost those in Wal-Mart one day. Cost me $125 to have a locksmith come out and make me a new one. He picked my gas cap, removed it and sat in his van for about 45 minutes. I was provided with 2 "Ilco -Suz18" keys. The first one worked fine except for a slight "tightness" for about 4 months then started having to slightly wiggle it, not a lot at all, but still... I realized the very tip of the key, maybe half a MM was chipped or broken off, but it still worked fine besides the little wiggle here and there. I decided to start using the other unused key and keep that as a spare. The current one (2nd key) still works fine aside from the slight "tightness" feel. I relate that to crafted keys though, as they weren't likely to be perfect. I haven't had any problem locking my forks.. yet >_<.

Long story, but.. basically, imo its not so much the bikes ignition, it seems to generally be related to non-stock keys. You could possibly have a locksmith identify the key code for your current keys, and maybe tell you if the keys were originally cut sloppy. That would probably be a LOT less than having a service call out to you to unlock your forks and make new keys to get it started if your current one failed to do so.

Aside from that, you could buy a used ignition with keys.. But you might want to try and get the helmet and seat locks too, or hang on to those spare keys if they still work on those locks.

Comment

I went to my local locksmith yesterday to see about getting another key cut for my 98 Kat 750 but he told me he did not have a blank for it. I asked if I could get the key number so I could look on the net to see about finding blanks. Key number is ZD 16RP-S if that helps, found keys online @ key4urride.com for $7, also found manufacturer blanks on ebay for $17. Also FYI, when you get a key cut make sure it is the right thickness, some places, ie box stores, have untrained employees cutting keys and all they do is check size not thickness.
      Last edited by DarkFury; 06-16-2012, 06:43 AM.
      Ride like it's your last ride
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaAg12 View Post
        So when I bought my Katana, I was informed that none of the original keys were available for it. When the previous owner regained possession of it (divorce), his ex-wife lost the keys. As such, he had a mold made from the bike for the needed key.

I went threw this, orginal key worn out, copy would work great on the tank but always give me problems with the ignition switch. So picked up one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/IGNITION-SWI...-/270997775321

Have been using it for 4-5 months now with no problems.

You do have to remove the clip-ons and the top of the steering head tree (not that bad) and the bolts that hold the ignition switch are security type (the heads break off upon tightening). Bolt out extractor bit works good, however there is always more than one way to remove them. You will have to get replacement bolts.

Comment

Update - Fixed - Or is it - LoL

I wanted to provide an update as to how this was fixed in case anyone else runs into this issue as well.

I did look into buying the replacement part, but wanted to try one more thing before spending the money.

As I had tried a silicone lubricant with little success, I then borrowed a tube of graphite powder while I was at my in-laws.

After spraying this into the keyhole, inserting the key, and turning it multiple times between locked, off, and on, it loosened up. Another spray and further turns loosened it right up. It is now working like it is brand new!

I hope this helps anyone else with the issue.

PS - An extra note of humor - went to go to work this morning and the bike wouldnt start - dead battery - Off to CycleGear this afternoon!

Comment

(It is very important to me to be able to lock the forks as I work some night shifts in a building where I can't see the bike from the window).
            glad to hear you got it fixed...

if they want it, they're gonna get it. No way around it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMVtKYBt5Q0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMVtKYBt5Q0[/ame]

Best option IMO is good insurance...

Comment

Working...
            X