Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

CL "Mechanic" Nightmare: Dude Seized the Engine - Thoughts?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CL "Mechanic" Nightmare: Dude Seized the Engine - Thoughts?

This is what happened with my 1990 Suzuki Katana 750 on Saturday.

A Motorcyle mechanic I found on Craigslist (a "certified mechanic" with "20 years experience" - which I'll refer to as "the dude") ran the engine without any oil for a couple minutes... This guy obviously had an "attention malfunction". He had earlier drained the oil completely, but then started spraying the carbs before putting any oil back...and, without thinking, he started up the bike and ran it for a couple of minutes - revving it really high until it started smoking!

After that, the engine wouldn't turn over - lots of lots of cranking attempts being bolstered with a running car battery. And we could not get the wheel to move (or the bike to roll at all) in any gear - even with both of us pushing. Adding insult to injury, the dude then insisted it must be a bad starter solenoid - he was "certain" of this - so we tracked down a dealership and I spent $100 for a non-returnable part - which did absolutely nothing to change the situation.

So the issue was forced - and I told the dude that as one professional to another, he really should deal with the situation - and I advised him to call *his* expert (i.e., I suggested he must have someone he calls when we gets in over his head.)

Sure enough, we ended up speaking to his consulting mechanic - a really standup guy. After the dude left, I spoke to the consulting mechanic at length and he is going to try to help salvage the situation. One possibility is that he might be able to track down a used engine from his parts network at a low price. (maybe in the $300 to $500 range). He said ideally he might find bare engine in the low end of that range. And he would discont his installation to something like $250 to $450 or so (ballpark). Of course, part of the resolution would be having the dude do some of the labor - or make it up to the consulting mechanic some other way. (the consulting mechanic said he would be speaking to the dude).

Personally, I'm equivocating as to whether it's really exconomically sound for me to spend another $600 to $900 on this bike - even if that is a bargain price to replace an engine: Beyond the engine, the bike is in overall "good" but not stellar condition. Body parts are all intact, but with some scuffing and graphics could use some touch-ups. Carburetors were last running a little rough (usually when cold) and probably need to be rebuilt. Bottom line is I think the bike, with a nice running engine would be worth about $1600 or so - And as much as I would like to see it ride again - I'm thinking it could be time to part it out - and if it's thoroughly picked apart, I think it might bring $800 or more for plastics, tank, wheels, and other parts at "retail" through eBay.

In either scenario, unclear how much - or even what - the dude can put on the table. Along the way, I learned that the dude is mostly broke - and the consulting mechanic also informs me that the dude really is not qualified to be doing an engine rebuild or other sophisticated or high precision work. I'm not to out punish the dude or anything, I just want to him to accept responsibility and do his best to make it up to me.

Just thinking out loud for now. I don't know the precise condition of the engine just yet. I'm going to connect with the consulting mechanic later today - and will arrange for him to do an on site inspection. Will update with more details when we have a better handle on the condition of the motor.

Thoughts welcome.
    You may also unleash the scolding on me - but please use restraint!
    Last edited by TwoKatGarage; 06-11-2012, 08:07 AM.

Originally posted by TwoKatGarage View Post
    I'm not to punish the dude or anything, I just want to him to accept responsibility and do his best to make it up to me.

\

Yikes... thats not good. I would never give my bike to some "dude" on Craigslist. If hes that good with "20" years experience he'd be at a real bike shop.

What did you bring the bike in for in the first place?

Comment

To me, it sounds like "the dude" is responsible for this so he should be footing the bill. HE ran the engine without oil and now expects YOU to deal with it?!?!? That's not right, at all.

Comment

If you want 'the dude' to accept his responsibility, then you'd better expect for him to pay for all the necessary repairs. Why would you even think of purchasing a new motor yourself? He's the one who 'forgot' to put oil back in the thing, not you....time for dude to man up and do the right thing. Let him hash out the deal with 'the consultant', his financial situation isn't your problem.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyZ View Post

What did you bring the bike in for in the first place?
          Nothing really major - I wasn't anticipating this would be a complex or "high risk" service project. The bike hadn't been run in some time... and there was no power on the bike (in hindsight, a main fuse issue). I also had a new set of wires to install, and the bike was due for an oil change and a carb cleaning.

Thanks for your support green_bread.

Comment

Engine run with out oil = engine is shot. Even if you get it "loose" again to run, it's gonna have a greatly deminished life now.

The mechanic who was working on it is 100% responsible. This wasn't a situation where sometimes parts just break, he was directly negligent.

If "the dude" won't cover 100% of the costs and labor to fix his mistake, then it's definately time to check your local small claims court process. Generally a small ($5-25) filing fee and a short 1 session court hearing means you get a judgement against him. Even if he's "broke" that judgement allows you many options to recover your costs.

If that is the route you have to take, be sure to get the bike and all parts back from him first. Also be prepared that you may have to pay him still for any other work he has already performed no related to blowing up your motor. He can file a mechanic's lien against the bike to make it illegal for you to sell any parts or whole if you don't.

Contact a lawyer if you have one, if you don't contact the local "free legal services" options that are available to get more details on what you need to do right NOW before going any further.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Seriously? Some guy blew up your bike while contracted to do maintenance and you aren't going to force him to make it right? Really?
              Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Dude Seized engine = DUDE buys new engine.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                  Why would you even think of purchasing a new motor yourself?
                  Hi teddy,

(and to Badfaerie and ZukiFred as well)

I'm definitely outraged by this, but I might be facing a "blood from a stone" situation. This really hit home with me when needed to drive to the dealership to get the part (about 15 miles each way). The dude didn't even have gas money! (Again, I didn't "see" any of this based on the CL ad - and I really failed to appreciate that there was catastrophic risk involved in this kind work).

In my mind, I could now rationalize spending maybe another $500 (or a bit more) if in the end I get a newer engine and a well-tuned bike. I probably *will* insist that I get some kind of IOU from the dude if I have to go out of pocket for much more than that.
                  Last edited by TwoKatGarage; 06-11-2012, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Your 'IOU' had best be a legal signed document if you choose to go that route, or else you'll never see it....

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Wonder if this "dude" was on the forum here earlier, stating that a motor is fine to run without oil "for a little while"......
                      2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
                        Dude Seized engine = DUDE buys new engine.
                        +1
                        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                        ------------------------------------------
                        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by TwoKatGarage View Post
                          Hi teddy,

(and to Badfaerie and ZukiFred as well)

I'm definitely outraged by this, but I might be facing a "blood from a stone" situation. This really hit home with me when needed to drive to the dealership to get the part (about 15 miles each way). The dude didn't even have gas money! (Again, I didn't "see" any of this based on the CL ad - and I really failed to appreciate that there was catastrophic risk involved in this kind work).

In my mind, I could now rationalize spending maybe another $500 (or a bit more) if in the end I get a newer engine and a well-tuned bike. I probably *will* insist that I get some kind of IOU from the dude if I have to go out of pocket for much more than that.
                          You really need to start thinking straight. I would already be at my local courthouse filing a small claim. If this guy blew your engine and you're thinking about letting him still work on your bike then you are crazy.
                          Last edited by muffinman; 06-11-2012, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                            Engine run with out oil = engine is shot. Even if you get it "loose" again to run, it's gonna have a greatly deminished life now.

The mechanic who was working on it is 100% responsible. This wasn't a situation where sometimes parts just break, he was directly negligent.

If "the dude" won't cover 100% of the costs and labor to fix his mistake, then it's definately time to check your local small claims court process.
                            Contact a lawyer if you have one, if you don't contact the local "free legal services" options that are available to get more details on what you need to do right NOW before going any further.

Krey
                            Excellent points Krey.
                            I'm fairly comfortable navigating the small claims court process - and I'm checking out the legal services section. I think all this dialogue is pointing towards some sensible direction:
                            I will give the senior mechanic the opportunity to try to make this right - he is capable, well-intentioned, and can very likely influence the dude. In any event, I would insist on getting a binding settlement agreement / IOU in writing against the dude for anything I'm out of pocket over some number I could rationalize (probably around $500).

Originally posted by muffinman View Post
                            You really need to start thinking straight. I would already be at my local courthouse filing a small claim. If this guy blew your and you're thinking about him still working on your bike then you are crazy.
                            Any further work would only be done in the senior mechanics shop - and this is a guy with a real shop and many years of his own reputation...so I do trust *him*

But I hear what you're saying. If the wise senior mechanic can't come up with fair resolution (including the dude owing me a big chunk of change), I will go down the small claims court road.
                            Last edited by TwoKatGarage; 06-11-2012, 09:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yeah, the DUDE is responsible... end of story.

Here is your next step..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ-V5qvMow4"]Where is the money Lebowski? - YouTube[/ame]
                              "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Working...
                              X