X

Running with a rusty tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running with a rusty tank

I've read some other posts on how to fix rusty tanks and what should all be done and heard good things about this POR15 stuff, is it really labor intensive to coat the inside of the tank?

And second, Im getting my Kat back from the shop tomorrow (since i couldnt do a damn to fix anything) and he said he cleared up some of the rust but at first it had a flat spot while revving, and after cleaning it all out it fixed the problem. There still is some rust and rough spots in there, so would it be bad to start riding it before trying this POR15 stuff since it could clog up again? (its been a month...)

yes, if you have a rusty tank everything the "shop" did cleaning the carbs is useless. They will just get dirty again. Like instantly.

Comment

Well ****, that is not what i wanted to hear, even with the screen in? I have to drive it home from the shop which is around 5 miles away. Is there anything i can do while waiting for the POR15 to keep everything clean?

Comment

Only a retard cleans your carbs with a rusty tank. Find a new shop.

Comment

Originally posted by katgolddigger View Post
          Well ****, that is not what i wanted to hear, even with the screen in? I have to drive it home from the shop which is around 5 miles away. Is there anything i can do while waiting for the POR15 to keep everything clean?

Remove the tank and clena the rust out of it. You can use a variety of simple solutions to do this with. Rinse, dry quickly using 1 cup acetone sloshed around to absorb the water, then a hair dryer blowing through it to evaporate the acetone. Use motor oil to coat the inside of the tank, dump the excess out.

Your tank will not rust now for about 1-2 months.... unless you add water.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

red kote by damon, get it at Oreillys auto parts.
            Carpie Diem!

Comment

Haha finding a new shop is easier than it sounds, im at school in a small Wisconsin town. But at first he wasn't aware of the rust since the tank was being painted. He only found out after i returned the tank and he had a flat spot that was due to clogging in the tank. And red kote? im not familiar?

Comment

I personally used KBS coating. just be careful that tank sealer sticks To EVERYTHING. and krey I'll let you know how the kbs turns out. very simliar to por-15 just a silver finish inside. their rustblast was pretty good too

Comment

I swear it would almost be worth it to just buy a new tank after all this crap! I'm never buying from craigslist again....

Comment

Redkote will eventually break down. So will kreem Trust me had bad results with both. As for buying from cl, a rusty tank is really not a big deal and any "new" tank you get may be worse than what you have. Take the time to por15 it and NEVER worry about it again.
                    @Dj FroZone, let us know how the kbs turns out. I considered using it till I ran across a deal on the por15 kit.
                    When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

dont get a new tank.....45 bucks and your tank is ready to go. i was in the same boat. and i GAURENTEE mine was worse than yours

Comment

Yeah mine isnt that bad, ill try to post pictures later. I also got some filters for the fuel lines that cost a couple bucks each. The guy who worked on it was great and said that he got alot out, and it should be fine to ride since the screen in the tank will filter out most, But i still think ill take everyone's advice on the POR15.

Also:

Has anyone tried this? or know if it works?
                        Last edited by katgolddigger; 06-09-2012, 02:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

my problem with that is what happens when for some reason you just cant get to your bike for a week. or maybe for the winter

the bike i bought still had gas in it. and MY GOD was it orange. Im sure that way works for cleaning it. but re rust is still my biggest issue. my bike is in pieces right now for the last week. which means no gas in the tank
                          by all means it would start rusting if i hadn't sealed it. i guess you could try that method but sealing it seems to be the best way to avoid any long term issues for you or any next owners should u sell it

Comment

Just a note...

There is NO filter that can be used in a non presurized system like the kat that will prevent the fine rust particles from accumulating and clogging up your carbs if your tank is heavily rusted. It simply will not stop it from happening. At the best, it will clog up the filter really quick to stop the flow of contaminated fuel into the carbs so they dont' get too dirty, but the most likely result of that is someone will blow out the filter or replace it, and still run the bike so the carbs get lots of crap in them.

And then you get to pay for them to be cleaned again....

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Wait this is the carb clean job you paid a grand for right?

Comment

Working...
                              X