X

Alright this is my last shot at fixing the Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright this is my last shot at fixing the Kat

Alright I'm sure your sick of me posting on here so I'm going to go into great detail on my issues and lets see what I can come up with otherwise this things getting trashed! First is my main jets are 144 for all four carbs. I didn't research this subject of cleaning the carbs well enough before I dug into it (Yes like the warning states in carbs 101!) but the first thing Id like to bring up that I noticed now was the pilot jets that were in the bike were already stripped so I Just replaced them all with factory jets (Not knowing this mattered) I just realized I have three that are 32.5 and one that is a 35 (Multiple holes in the 35 were as no holes in the rest). I'm guessing this is the reason after replacing them why I have trouble keeping one carb running after I put the stock back in?

I also have aftermarket 4 to 1 exaust So im guessing a need some kind of jets right?:

Also for the needles Im pretty sure its just stock needles but im not sure, they have no stamp of any sort on them and I dont even know how to distinguish between them!:

Also on the bottom of what bike bandit calls the "Piston valve" is two white screws. Are these meant to be adjusted? because all of them are about flush with hole except one on just one of the valves is screwed in pretty deep.

When I first got the bike it had K & N filters on it. now I got the original air box from eBay and noticed I have holes (the ones you use to sync the carbs) plugged on the diaphragm cover with a hose/screw combination.

This is on carbs 3 & 4. Are they suppose to be hoses that go somewhere? I have the vacuum one that goes to the back of the petcock from the side of carb number 4 and the two fuel down to the carbs for gas and one from the airbox to the crank case. I also have the bottom of the air box plugged. Am I missing any?

Also I'm getting this issue with the spark plugs being black with a sort of black dry film. they said this is from running to rich right? Well im also getting a tad bit of what seems to be a black residue or pile in the lower part of the carbs when I drain them out. Is this due to that same issue or could this be from the tank or somewhere totally different? you can kind of see it in the picture below about were it drains out the drain hole:

Well once I figure this out is the A/F screws 4 screws located on the lower bottom of the carbs that controls the mixture? Or is there two different screws? one for the air and one for the fuel? the one located in the front of the carbs I was told was Air adjustment? Or was I told wrong? Also the more turns out the more air right? So if I'm running to rich Once I have this straighten out if its still to rich I would turn them all more outwards right? The last sort of issue I'm having is there is this sort of glue or maybe silicone type sticky goo that was on the bottom of just one of the carbs.

this sticky goo is also a little bit around the back of the carb as well. I did dip these in chem dip and let them sit but is there a reason this was on there? or somewhat in the carbs? there is kind of a sticky residue on the butterfly valve. Around the area were you see the three small holes there is a bit of a black discoloration that didn't want to come off even after the chem dip. almost looks like a stain.

The main thing though is the one that had all the defects is the one that runs fine.... So im not sure but number one seems to want to only run when you first start it up after you drain the fuel out of the carb and let it fill back up, Sometimes it wont even run at all.. after a shutdown and start-up again it doesn't want to run while the rest seem to run fine. As of now the bike starts up fantastic, sounds great like it runs perfect and idles amazing compaired to when I got the thing When I try to ride it though obviously after switching into first and takeoff it just wants to die. Cylinder one just wont fire and I tell by throwing a cap full of water at the pipes. 2-4 the water sizzles and evaporates right off but 1 doesn't want to do anything! I did check the spark and it was there but it didn't seem to really get the plug black like the rest of them either. There is gas in going into the cylinder but having this different jet pilot will effect this right? Could that be my issue? Any help would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by jr_2431; 06-08-2012, 03:51 AM. Reason: Added tried to ride in condition and main jet #

So What is the difference between the pilot jet sizes? what does this effect and does it matter that there was one different then the rest?

Comment

I dunno what jets those are, but the mains are WAAAY off....these are stock jet sizes for your bike. Those carbs are a mess. Needs new bowl gaskets at the least to get rid of that crappy gooey stuff. Stock carb jets are as follows, although with an exhaust like that I'd recommend a Factory Pro Stage 1 kit. Not up to speed on your setup so I'm assuming you have the stock airbox and air filter, right? if not, get them.

750 (including 1989)

Type BST36SS
      Main jets
      US, cylinder no. 3 110
      All others 105
      Main air jet 0.5 mm
      Jet needle
      California 5EZ63
      US except California 5EZ62
      UK 5EZ61-3
      Needle jet
      US Y-1
      UK Y-2
      Pilot jet
      US 32.5
      UK 37.5
      Pilot air jet
      1989 and 1990 California 1.25 mm
      1991 on California 1.2 mm
      US except California 1.35 mm

Starter jet 37.5
      Float height 14.6 +/-1 mm (0.57 +/- 0.04 inch)
      Pilot screw setting 2.5 turns out

Edit....I see Arsenic identified the DJ needles....nm

After reading the Dynojet install instructions, you need the DJ120 mains for your setup. Instructions found here:

Last edited by 05RedKat600; 06-08-2012, 12:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

It's not stock jetting. The white plastic things in the slides are the DJ slide orifices. I can tell by the way the needle looks it's a DJ needle. I bet if you take those plastic spacers off the needle there will be 6 different grooves for the e-clip. You know what will fix your bike?
        [ame="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190688851529&ssPageNam e=STRK:MESE:IT"]carburetors carbs Suzuki GSX750F Katana 750 89-97[/ame]
        These
        I'm really proud of that description BTW. "While every set of carburetors I build is 100 times better than Earl, the hack job mechanic at your local dealership, sometimes I go above and beyond. That is what I've done here. If I put this in a modern art museum on a table in a room with nothing but a sign that said "A modern take on retro engineering". These carburetors would be the best thing on display, they are THAT good."
        Last edited by arsenic; 06-08-2012, 01:00 PM.

Comment

yes you are correct it has the knotches and with the 144 does this mean its a stage 3 DJ kit?

Comment

Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              It's not stock jetting. The white plastic things in the slides are the DJ slide orifices. I can tell by the way the needle looks it's a DJ needle. I bet if you take those plastic spacers off the needle there will be 6 different grooves for the e-clip. You know what will fix your bike?
              carburetors carbs Suzuki GSX750F Katana 750 89-97
              These
              I'm really proud of that description BTW. "While every set of carburetors I build is 100 times better than Earl, the hack job mechanic at your local dealership, sometimes I go above and beyond. That is what I've done here. If I put this in a modern art museum on a table in a room with nothing but a sign that said "A modern take on retro engineering". These carburetors would be the best thing on display, they are THAT good."
              Alright, well although I'm sure your right...I don't really want to spend that kind of money. is there a way to solve this without just completely replacing it?

Comment

You can keep chasing your tail for a year and never get it right. Or you can PM me and purchase those and fix it once and for all. I'm not making this up. I know it's an investment, but it's also the most important component to your bike running correctly. The choice is yours.

Comment

I have no doubt you know what your talking about, I guess ill just have to work on getting that much and then ill PM you, but just for an informational note, why would one of them have the 35 instead of 32.5? are they all suppose to be 35 with the kit? Just out of curiousness why it was like that and what difference that makes?

Comment

No, they are all supposed to be 32.5 with no bleed holes. That one 35 with bleed holes is the wrong pilot jet. Why is it there you ask? Because people are stupid.

Comment

No, they are all supposed to be 32.5 with no bleed holes. That one 35 with bleed holes is the wrong pilot jet. Why is it there you ask? Because people are stupid.
                      Alright, Thank you for the help. Much appreciated!

Comment

After looking at the plugs I realized It would not fire what so ever after replacing with the 32.5 is because I was not getting enough gas... after learning with the pilot jet the larger the number, the more fuel it allows to flow. I then switched back to the 35 and now it fires. So apparently they did this because it wasnt getting enough gas... but for some reason 32.5 works through the rest of the carbs? the rest of the carbs actually run a tad bit richer then carb 1! I believe I will try and struggle the rest of this year with this bike as is and and see if I can deal with it because it seems to be running fine now (Although Ive only rode it to work and back a few times) if I can work with it enough I might just keep it as is. If not im going to look at buying one of your sets. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jr_2431 View Post
                          After looking at the plugs I realized It would not fire what so ever after replacing with the 32.5 is because I was not getting enough gas... after learning with the pilot jet the larger the number, the more fuel it allows to flow. I then switched back to the 35 and now it fires. So apparently they did this because it wasnt getting enough gas... but for some reason 32.5 works through the rest of the carbs? the rest of the carbs actually run a tad bit richer then carb 1! I believe I will try and struggle the rest of this year with this bike as is and and see if I can deal with it because it seems to be running fine now (Although Ive only rode it to work and back a few times) if I can work with it enough I might just keep it as is. If not im going to look at buying one of your sets. Thanks!
                          What size pilot air jet are you using in each carb?

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Tim, let me answer that for you. "What is a pilot air jet?"

Comment

Not sure what you mean by a Air pilot jet? Are you referring to what looks like a pilot jet that's visible in the front of the carbs when you take the filters off? but I can tell you carb one is using a size 35 pilot jet and carbs 2-4 are using the normal 32.5 and this seems to make it run just fine. Not sure how or why but it does...
                              Last edited by jr_2431; 06-23-2012, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X