X

Idle/Battery question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle/Battery question

Hi guys, just picked up my 2000 katana last week. I just have a couple of questions. First off, the idle. Mine isn't steady. It always moves up and down about 0.2 - 0.3 RPM, I was wondering if this is normal, or if carbs need a cleaning. Second question is, while idling, the lights in my cluster and headlights seem to dim/flicker, not much, but enough to notice. Battery is fully charged (12.7V resting, won't charge past that). Again, is this normal, or something I should look into.

Thank you

Bumpy idle = flickering lights. The charge voltage at idle is rather low, so if your idle is bumpy/surgy you will see the lights flicker.

Carbs are dirty, need synced and/or you have a vacuum leak.

Comment

Ok, thank you.

Comment

What does the bike idle at your idle might just be to low

Comment

When its cold it idles at about 1 to 1.1. Once it warms up it will go around 1.3 to 1.4. From what i know that's where the idle should be, correct? Mind you, the idle is not significantly bumpy, its just not ROCK SOLID. Just put some seafoam in the tank, see if that helps.

Comment

Idle should be 1200, and pretty solid. When was the last time the carbs were synced, air filter replaced, plugs checked, valves adjusted etc?

Comment

Yah, thats the thing... I just got the bike and previous owner didn't know much/didn't do any of that. Its a budget bike for me at the moment, so maybe next year i will do a full tuneup, but for now, just wanna do what I can in order for it to run well, without causing any damage.

Comment

Bouncy idle is almost always a vacuum/air leak.

I'd double check the airbox is properly sealing up, no leaks, the boots are sealed to it with gasket sealer, the drain line is not leaking and plugged off, the boots are properly seated on the carbs with no signs of deformation or damage, so on...

If it's rubber, and it's hard, cracked, or has a pin hole in it... it's needs replaced.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Comment

Also, carbs out of sync is essentially a vacuum leak. Definitely worth a check.

Comment

Ok perfect. I'll have it looked at next oil change which is soon anyway. i'll post back with the result/solution.

Comment

Working...
                      X