X

Just a quik clutch question!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a quik clutch question!!!

I have been meaning to ask this for awhile but kept forgetting. Question is this.

When the bike is cold, the clutch has the right freeplay. But once the engine gets warm( I ride it for a mile or so) the clutch has more freeplay. It doesnt slip, and it still engauges at the same point. The lever just gets more freeplay once everything is warm. Any Ideas of why???? Ive adjusted it cold ( at the lever and at the adjustment screw under the side cover). Its wierd, it still runs fine. Anyone else notice this with their bike???

Thanks,
    Todd
    Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first thing that comes to mind is OIL! what oil are you using?

then if that is fine I wonder if it is out of adjustment or worn.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

The clutch itself is new. I put it in earlier this spring. Discs, and springs. The cable is original. And I use Castrol Actevo 10w40 oil! I was thinking it could be the older cable, but I cant figure out why it would respond like that to the engine/clutch warming up!? Hope this helps!!
      Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

BP have you tried to adjust it after you have gotten it up to temp? Try that and you might want to try the ESTHER oil. Motul makes it. It is synthetic as well it just does not have all additives that the Castrol does. Talk to SinfulF4i about the oils. He has a good grasp on it.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I don't see how oil or anything inside the engine would affect the cable's freeplay . I mean , the ONLY part that goes inside the engine is the rod . If that was the case , wouldn't the clutch be slipping then ? Wierd . Maybe the cables not routed right ?
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

The only possible solution that comes to my mind is rather convoluted:

The cable is plastic sheathed, usually over a teflon interior, with a steel cable inside. If the plastic sheath is getting soft due to engine heat, it could be effectively changing length... Which is basically the same routing issue MD86 mentioned.

The ACT/Evo won't negatively affect your clutch action, since it's JASO-MA rated. The question does come to mind though: why did you need to change your clutch in the first place (was it worn to minimum, or did you use something previously that had coated the clutch plates with something they shouldn't have on them?)?

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              The only possible solution that comes to my mind is rather convoluted:

The cable is plastic sheathed, usually over a teflon interior, with a steel cable inside. If the plastic sheath is getting soft due to engine heat, it could be effectively changing length... Which is basically the same routing issue MD86 mentioned.

The ACT/Evo won't negatively affect your clutch action, since it's JASO-MA rated. The question does come to mind though: why did you need to change your clutch in the first place (was it worn to minimum, or did you use something previously that had coated the clutch plates with something they shouldn't have on them?)?

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              I changed the clutch because it was slipping in the upper rpms of the rev range, under full throttle. I took the discs out to get a look and decided to change them while I had them out. They were worn pretty good, from what I assumed lots of clutched wheelies!!
              So should I change the cable???
              I wish someone could ride it from cold for a few miles and see for themselves.

Someone mentioned adjusting it when its warm. Doesnt the manual state to adjust when cold??? I will have to check but I think it does!!!

Thanks guys!

Comment

I was wrong, the manual doesnt say anything about warm or cold.

Ok I may try this BUT. With the problem I have now, cold=adjusted correctly, and warmed up=loosened lever. Wouldnt adjusting it while its warm cause it to be too tight once cold???? Know what in saying?? UUMMMM I dont know. It seems to work fine, I may just leave it alone.......Maybe a new cable, or lube this one!

Comment

Wierd .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

BP I am off this coming Sunday maybe we can meet up and I can help you out. If you need a new clutch cable I can get one for you. Besides you need to get your butt down here to my shop anyway.
                    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Working...
                    X