X

very weird idle problem......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very weird idle problem......

cleaned carbs.... bench synced the carbs .......adjusted floats....adjusted air/fuel screws (3 x to get right .. 2.75 rotations ).... started the bike and had too turn the idle screw clock wise to get it to idle ...... here is my problem... it either idles at 2500 or at im guessing 800 or less.... i turn the idle screw (when is high) counter clock wise in very small increments and giving little jolts of throttle all along the way and the bike will simple just not idle at 1300 or 1200 .. my bike is warm when i am messin with the idle screw..... bought a syn though i could fix it this way... calibrated my device on the 3rd carb "master carb" then notcied that carb 2 has lots of vacuum all other carbs are about the same... i bought the motion pro carb sync ... the one with the blue dye lookin suff. .. also noticed that exhaust 3 is cooler than all the other pipes leading out from the engine..... another weird thing is that when started warmed up it idles at 800 then a little throttle bumps is and keeps it at 2500-2700 ... another weird thing !! ha !! is when riding i can press front brake and let out clutch until idle gets to 800 and then i pull in clutch real fast and then it stays ... at 800......... so thats where im at .........

help please ..... im going to end up riding this thing with a high idle if i cant fix the problem ... really getting on my last nerves !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

First, finish out and do a sync... they need to be closer and this is a good start. do it at 2500 rpms if you have to, but get them closer.

Then track down the air/vacuum leaks.

Then expect to need to fiddle with the a/f screws again as air/vacuum leaks will lean it out and you have set the a/f higher to compensate.

Then do a final sync to make sure things are right.

Then... if you still have problems, let us know.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ok so i checked my work and skimped out a bit on my pilot jets.... video i watched said that they control idle.... they were completely clogged... ha of course... cleaned them so i could see a little pin point of light and then started .... idle good running very very rich .... white gas smelling smoke out of my exhaust .... so turned my air/mixture screw down... and down .... and down... and down ... im at 1. full rotation out and still super rich .... i thought screwing it down would make it more lean.... could this be a float height adjustment issue.... need help !!!

by the way the all exhaust pike are the same temp now ....
      Last edited by ebuck89; 04-27-2012, 04:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Mine started doing pretty much the same thing but I know the sync on them is good, so leaning toward a vacuum leak somewhere even though shots of starter fluid found none. Found a small fuel leak at the bowl so waiting on new gaskets to get here before I take um back off and double check all the floats and a/f screws.
        When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Gas smoke is not white. If the smoke is white it's not gas. It's condensation. If the smoke were black, then you'd be rich.

Comment

ya the smoke is white.... changing my oil... smells like gas.... carb were leaking after taking them apart.... thanks to those awesome little o rings in the carbs that shriveled up over time.... im hoping that changing the oil and then putting my a/f screws back to 2.5 will do the trick !!!!!!!!!!and getting new gasoline !!!

Comment

bike is fixed !!!! new oil ....... a/f screws to 2.5 it runs ! feels like a different bike !!!

Comment

Working...
              X