X

Missing/Undersized rear spacer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing/Undersized rear spacer?

I'm been looking at related threads that seem to all reference Pre models, however I have a 03 750. I just replaced my sprockets, and noticed there is VERY little clearance between the nuts from the sprocket, and the swingarm.

I noticed that after I had my tires changed last summer that the castle nut on the axle seemed to be tightened on much further, it used to park itself where the cotter pin would actually catch between the tips of the bolt, now the bolt is almost 2-3mm away from cotter pin.

When attempting to remove axle, it was tightened on WAY beyond proper torque, it was a challenge to get off even with a really good air impact. I'm fairly certain the outer axle bearing on the sprocket side is screwed, just going to order a set of all balls and swap everything out, as well as do some much needed cleaning.

I've since pulled everything back apart, and taken pics to post, however a couple of quick questions:

1. does anyone know what the proper width of the spacer should be? 15.3mm?

2. should the washer that goes between the castle nut and the swingarm be slightly recessed on the one end?

3. I forget what #3 was

4. What's a good general guide on determining if the cush rubbers are worn and should be replaced (Short of them being cracked or breaking)

5. As far as I can tell I've accounted for the parts as identified on the parts fiche for the rear and am not (entirely) nuts....right?
    Attached Files

Your parts are correct.

Having been tightend that much the bearings are probably worn. Replacing them isn't a bad thing.

The washer that is mishapen I would go ahead and replace with a flat stainless one from any local auto or hardware store.

I'd guess your probably looking at the swingarm no longer being a "square" box end. It's probably bowed in a bit at the axle slots and that would account for some of the extra room on the axle/castle nut. Add a washer on the axle head side is a simple resolution, that would be fine. You can also fix the non flat sides of the swingarm if you want, but it's not going to make much of an issue as long as you know what's going on there.

Katanas just have the sprocket nuts close to the swingarm, it's the design because the swingarm is closer to the wheel than most other sport bikes out there today.

As for the cush drive... does the sprocket carrier fit in tight, and can you move it back and forth when mounted if you twist it the way the chain would pull on the sprocket? If it's not tight or allows movement then they need replacement.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
    X