X

bike wont start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike wont start

Ive been working on my 1993 600 kat all winter and it finally com time to start it and it wouldnt start i got to looking and the throttle was stuck half open causing the bike to flood.I fixed that and the bike finally started. After letting the bike sit for a day i tried to start it again. it will crank and crank and then shoot fire out the exhaust. i have tried everything and nothing works. I need all the input i can get thanks.

Originally posted by dsbyrd View Post
    Ive been working on my 1993 600 kat all winter and it finally com time to start it and it wouldnt start i got to looking and the throttle was stuck half open causing the bike to flood.I fixed that and the bike finally started. After letting the bike sit for a day i tried to start it again. it will crank and crank and then shoot fire out the exhaust. i have tried everything and nothing works. I need all the input i can get thanks.

Use a volt meter... check the following.

Min. V at battery with key off is 13.4
    Min. V At batteryw ith Key on is 12.4
    Min. V at coils (orange wires) with key on is 12V
    Min. V at coils with starter turning over is 11V

If any of those are not correct, your bike isn't gonna wanna start well. Fix them.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

could this problem also be caused by bad plugs

Comment

Originally posted by dsbyrd View Post
        could this problem also be caused by bad plugs

The "problem" is a very general one... so it could theoretically be caused by lots of different issues. The key is to narrow down or eliminate the more common issues.

The most common and first thing to check is going to be low battery or low power to the coils. It's also cheaper (it's a test, not a parts replacement thing) generally.

If your okay with throwing some money in for piece of mind, new parts like good clean airfilter, plugs, so on... those basic upkeep items is always a good thing to have done anyways.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
        X