X

1990 600f keeps dying

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 600f keeps dying

Went for a short ride today. My kat died a few times when sitting at idle. I can keep it running if I stay on the throttle though. Sometimes it idles high for a few seconds too. Any ideas as to what I could do? Carbs dirty maybe?

Check for vaccum leaks before you clean your carbs
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I'm gonna have my motorcycle mechanick buddy look at it with me. I know nearly nothing about motorcycles, so I think a trained mechanic would be a little better.

Comment

This time of year , I bet we see a LOT of this due to gummy carbs from sitting bikes ....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah I was experiencing similar issues on my bike as well. My problem was caused from a carb boot between the air box and the carb#3 had slipped off. Check all your clamps are snug, and the caps on the vacuum ports are there.

My bike idles better now , I don't have to keep it idling, but if I blip the throttle sitting at a light when the rpms fall they don't stop at my idle point they dip down below where it idles and sometimes come back up to idle but usually will cause the bike to stall.

I don't have any vacuum leaks that I could find, my carbs are clean
          and sync'd...

Comment

our ethanol blended fuel can cause greif
            I suggest putting some Sea Foam in your fuel and trying to run it
            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Well my mechanical buddy is saying dead cylinder, but out of three other friends who know quite a bit about bikes none of them think so and neither do I. It runs just fine except for at idle. I'm gonna go ahead and clean/sync the carbs, plugs/wires, replace the timing chain (making some noise), and replace the throttle cable (rpm fluctuates When I turn the bars). It's got high miles, so I think it could use a valve adjustment and maybe a look at the coils. I didn't see any obvious vacuum leaks.

Comment

Don't replace the timing chain, replace the tensioner. Odds are the chain is fine, and if it's making noise the tensioner is responsible.

Don't need to replace your throttle cable either, just adjust it properly. Sounds like you're just going to shotgun parts at it and hope it works.

Comment

You do realize replacing the timing chain means splitting the engine right? Do you mean replacing the cam chain tensioner spring? Cause that's all you really need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by bjones72751 View Post
                    Well my mechanical buddy is saying dead cylinder, but out of three other friends who know quite a bit about bikes none of them think so and neither do I. It runs just fine except for at idle. I'm gonna go ahead and clean/sync the carbs, plugs/wires, replace the timing chain (making some noise), and replace the throttle cable (rpm fluctuates When I turn the bars). It's got high miles, so I think it could use a valve adjustment and maybe a look at the coils. I didn't see any obvious vacuum leaks.
                    You can't see ANY vacuum leaks. You have to test for those. WIth some type of flammable fluid like start fluid or Brakleen.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                      You can't see ANY vacuum leaks. You have to test for those. WIth some type of flammable fluid like start fluid or Brakleen.
                      My IDGAF filter just kicked on in full swing.

Comment

I meant as in the hoses looked to be in good shape. Didn't see any cracked hoses or anything unhooked. I had read that the timing chain will stretch after so many miles, so I kinda figured with 40k, its probably stretched. I'm new to bikes, so I don't know what all goes into these things.

Comment

As far as replacing the timing chain... A LOT. I've never known anyone to replace that on a Katana engine, ever.

Comment

So the noise is likely the tensioner not the chain? What other things should I look at if I'm looking to give it a major tune up?

Comment

uuummm.... everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X