X

ah man (help)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ah man (help)

Alright, first problem after only a month.. bike seems to lug when i am accelerating through first, second, third.. seems that i have to shift sooner and kinda scares me when it does it around a corner. PLEASE HELP!!
    Matt

The Difference Between Ordinary And Extraordinary Is That Little Extra

plugs fouling? carbs need synched?

at what RPM does it start to bog down and when does it come back on?

Comment

mainly when im gaining speed, taking off shifting through gears.. so probably 2-4 rpm has a tendency to jump (like accelerate then bog) any sug.?
      Matt

Comment

sounds like a fuel delivery issue

carbs need cleaned and set up to spec

Comment

hmm, is that something that a person with mid level knowledge can do (not me but i have friends) or is that something that will cost me the big bucks?
          Matt

Comment

Originally posted by somainevent
            hmm, is that something that a person with mid level knowledge can do (not me but i have friends) or is that something that will cost me the big bucks?
            let others chime in...I am not an expert.
            Someone will be able to talk you through it....its not hard, but precision is tantamount....not a task for ham-fisted mechanics!

Comment

Wait....why are you shifting early enough that you'd be 2k to 4k in any gear other than 1st?

First gear has a dead spot near 2 or 3k, which is why people install an ignition advancer or bigger sprocket, etc.

If you get through it in first--which should be 20 feet away from the stoplight you were at...there's no need to get below 4k again, unless you're stopping. The magic doesn't happen until 7k+ It's a inline four, not a V-twin, bro. It makes power up top in the revs, not down low.

Are you still in break-in or something?

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

no, i got it used.. it doesnt do it all the time though just recently. it doesnt bog like it is in the wrong gear (like 4th gear going up a hill) it just kinda takes off out of no where then jerks and slows, then takes off again almost as if it is dying
                Matt

Comment

...and this happens at high revs also?

If so, it sounds like bad gas.

If not, then you may have airbox or gunk in the carbs.

Was the bike winterized properly in the past?

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

Comment

Originally posted by BISQ
                    ..was the bike winterized properly in the past?
                    Pssst, he's from out here.....

Comment

yeah, kats definately have a definitive jump in top end power as opposed to low end, which you'll notice the more you ride it. but it's actually like "lunging noticeably forwar" and then dying down..while your giving it throttle?

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Wilson
                        Originally posted by BISQ
                        ..was the bike winterized properly in the past?
                        Pssst, he's from out here.....
                        Well, I guess I was meaning "stored" properly. It's kind of jargon out this way.

If the bike sat for a long time, it could have gunked up carbs.

My guess is that you're just getting used to a new ride. Get the revs up!

Comment

ive noticed a HUGE difference from getting my carbs cleaned out about 2 months ago or so. its like night and day..from warming up and idling better, to even better gas mileage..well alittle better..

Comment

There is one very simple possibility that could be playing into it: the fuel filter type and placement. If the fuel filter isn't pointing downhill as installed, it could be running air into the carbs instead of gas, which would result in this kind of behavior. Most likely to happen shortly after starting (due to the petcock being shut off while the engine is off) while headed uphill (putting the fuel filter at a disadvantage, since the system is gravity-fed).

I'd start by checking that fuel filter placement, swapping the spark plugs and running some fuel system cleaner through (Chevron Techron -- any auto parts store or walmart, 1/3 bottle for 1 full tank of gas). If that doesn't do it after you run the whole gas tank containing the fuel system cleaner through, cleaning the carbs manually is called for.

Good Luck!
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I can vouch for the chevron techron, Cyber advised me to get some of that a long time ago, and man what a difference.
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X