X

3rd Gear Problem?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gear Problem?

I think I'm having an issue getting the bike into 3rd gear, although it seems to be an erratic problem. This morning on my way to work everything was just fine, however on my way home for lunch I started having problems getting it into 3rd gear. Downshifting is fine, but upshifting is a problem, but only sometimes.

I can get it into gear, but it just takes more force than the other gears. At first I thought it was my new boots, but it seems to be exclusive to 3rd gear.

I adjusted the clutch last year when I bought the bike and changed the oil and filter at the same time. This was about 2,000 miles ago in September of last year. I used the oil and filter I purchased from the Suzuki dealership.

Originally posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
    I think I'm having an issue getting the bike into 3rd gear, although it seems to be an erratic problem. This morning on my way to work everything was just fine, however on my way home for lunch I started having problems getting it into 3rd gear. Downshifting is fine, but upshifting is a problem, but only sometimes.

I can get it into gear, but it just takes more force than the other gears. At first I thought it was my new boots, but it seems to be exclusive to 3rd gear.

I adjusted the clutch last year when I bought the bike and changed the oil and filter at the same time. This was about 2,000 miles ago in September of last year. I used the oil and filter I purchased from the Suzuki dealership.
    If it really is specific to 1 gear... you may have have an issue with the shift drum/shift fork. That would be more likely than the multiple gears that make up 3rd having an issue.

Unfortunately, if repair means getting to those... it's NOT an easy or inexpensive fix.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Sounds like a shift fork.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Dang, that's a bummer man, I hope you get er figured out!
        Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Comment

Is there a way to conclusively determine if it's a shift fork or something else? I wonder if I should just sell it while I have the chance. Man, this sucks. It only has 6,000 miles on it.

Comment

Is there a way to conclusively determine if it's a shift fork or something else? I wonder if I should just sell it while I have the chance. Man, this sucks. It only has 6,000 miles on it.
            Take it apart.......You could try another oil change and cable adjustment though. Worth a shot.

Comment

If you sell it, let me know! I'm 30 minutes from you.
              Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Comment

Well I rode her to the dealership to buy some oil and I didn't have a problem at all. She dropped into gear every time without issue. I was talking to the mechanic and he said the same thing about it possibly being the shift fork. The thing was, he said if that was the issue he thought it would do it all the time. He was nice enough to take it for a ride and check it out while I was there. He came back and said he couldn't get it to do it and everything seemed fine to him.

Now I'm thoroughly confused. He mentioned the possibility of riding it without using the clutch to see if that made a difference. Until he told me, I had no idea that you could do that without damaging the transmission. He was nice enough to pull a tranny off the shelf and show how it worked. Anyway, I had a good experience at the dealer, but still no concrete resolution.

Any other thoughts as to what might cause this to be intermittent?
                Last edited by Spyderturbo007; 03-13-2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Oil, clutch adjustment, and shifting habits come to mind. Your oil only has 2K miles on it, but it's been in there for 7 months. It's been exposed to the elements and moisture for 7 months, I'd change it.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                    Oil, clutch adjustment, and shifting habits come to mind. Your oil only has 2K miles on it, but it's been in there for 7 months. It's been exposed to the elements and moisture for 7 months, I'd change it.
                    +1... Those are the only things that would be variable.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Are you making "crisp, concise" shifts? Or do you have a lazy shift?

It's possible that you might be able to install a shift detent spring and fix the issue.

I doubt there's any permenent damage done to the trans, I thought Suzuki fixed that problem in the 98+ bikes
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Well, I have an update. I changed both the oil and filter, along with adjusting the clutch and I still have the same problem. I attempted shifting without using the clutch and had the same problems, but it gave me a little more information.

When it happens, which is only sometimes, you can tell by the clutch pedal resistance when getting ready to shift to the next gear without using the clutch. For example, if I'm shifting without using the clutch from 2nd to 3rd and I start to put pressure upwards on the clutch in preparation for the shift, you fell decent resistance 1/2" after you starting lifting up. When the pressure is encountered that early, I know it's going to shift properly.

But, when it doesn't shift properly is when I begin to apply upward pressure and don't feel any resistance until it gets 2" up. In that case, I know right away before shifting that it's going to take much more pressure to get it into the next gear.

Hopefully that makes sense. It's almost like it's not resetting properly in preparation for the next shift. Does this help shed more light on the subject?

Originally posted by steves
                        Are you making "crisp, concise" shifts? Or do you have a lazy shift?
                        I'm not sure. I've been driving a manual car since I started driving 20 years ago, so I'm comfortable with the use of a clutch. But perhaps I'm not doing it right on the motorcycle. Release throttle, pull clutch all the way, upshift, release clutch and apply throttle. Hopefully it's the same on a bike and I'm not just a giant moron.

Comment

Do you have the proper amount of free play in the clutch cable? Should be about 5mm.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I do. I neglected to say that I checked the clutch adjustment when I did the oil and filter change.

Comment

Alright, can a moderator please ban me for being the dumbest person on the Internet? I am so embarrassed about this, but I'll throw it out there in case it happens to someone else. The root of the problem was, wait for it......me!

I bought a pair of the Sidi Vertigo boots for this riding season and put my old boots in the closet. I guess the size / bulk of the Sidi boots were keeping me from releasing the clutch pedal all the way down after shifting sometimes. Apparently I didn't realize I was doing it because of the reinforced toe box of the boots. I couldn't feel that I hadn't released all the pressure off the pedal and didn't know I was still partially holding it up.

I rode all the way home and back over lunch and after figuring out what I was doing, everything has been working perfectly. I just make a conscience effort to make sure I exaggerate my movement back down when I release the pedal after a shift. So unless it was a coincidence, it seems like that was the problem.

I wonder how many other things I'm doing wrong?

I'm such an idiot and feel like a complete fool. Sorry for wasting everyones' time with this. I'm going to go put on my dunce cap and sit in the corner for awhile.
                              Last edited by Spyderturbo007; 03-15-2012, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X