Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

mysterious electrical issue, or maybe not....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mysterious electrical issue, or maybe not....

I was going to put my bike (02 katana 600) for the winter and noticed that it wouldn't start. the battery seemed weak so I threw it on a charger. The charger or a jump pack has worked in the past so I figured this time was no different. Unfortunately this time, the bike wouldn't start and then the electrics went dead.
    Currently with the key in the off position, the clock works and then turns off when I switch it to the on position. If I connect it to a charger I can occasionally get the lights to come on dim or other times on full brightness. I have also noticed that occasionally the tach will show around 6k rpm when I switch it to on (bike not running) and that number goes down to about 3k when I throw the high beams on. Keep in mind that getting anything electrical seems to be dumb luck with any given tun of the key from off to on.
    When trying to start it after getting the lights to go on, I will usually get some electrical noises out of it, occasionally it will turn over, and then usually it will click and all the lights will go out again.
    I have had it die on me twice in the past when the idle was around 1200rpm or a few days of riding (i know that's a bit low from what it should be), and it has been fixed by adjusting the idle screw on the left side of the bike for a higher idle and giving it a jumpstart.
    I am thinking of starting with the battery and replacing that, but the abrupt nature of this going wrong makes me think its a fuse or something. I am doubting it is the main fuse because I can occasionally get the electrics to work while on the charger but then again I'm new to bikes. any guidance is much appreciated. I checked the wiki and around the forum and came up empty handed, probably because Im a noob to this stuff

Check the battery connection terminals?

Make sure they are clean and tight.

I see your from Foxboro, Foxboro, MA?

Comment

Yep, Foxboro, MA. Home of the Pats. I am away from my bike for a few weeks but I will double check. they seem secure and are clean but then again I didn't give much thought to it

Comment

Take the battery to be tested, sound like a shorted cell.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Just threw a new battery in it. Solved all my problems. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X