X

oil in airbox/clutch problems.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil in airbox/clutch problems.

So Im having to different problems here with my 92 gsx600f and Im just not sure what to do about them.

1. The clutch is not disengaging properly. If Im in first gear (with the clutch lever all the way pulled in) it has resistance. Not as much as it would be without me holding the lever in, but not as little as neutral. Ive tried adjusting the cable, and nothing.

2. I went to go and check out some electronics, so I took the airbox out, and I noticed that there was oil in the end of it where the hose is that connects it to the engine.

any help/suggestions would be nice. thank you for your time.

try checking and/or adjusting the clutch rod. changing your oil sometimes helps with clutch problems, as for oil in the air box, it could be from over filling the engine with oil. check your oil level with the bike in riding postion, straight up, not on the center stand or kickstand. pull the breather element from the valve cover and see how much oil is in it, you may have to clean or replace it.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

The clutch rod is just slightly bent, just enough where you'd actually have to look at it to notice. Would that really make that much of a difference? Also, do you think it could be a clutch cable problem? because that thought kept coming to me while I was at work. Im going to check it today as well.

And I think I may have put to much oil in it, so for now Im going to assume that I was the culprit for that problem there.

Thanks again for your time and thought on my problems.

Comment

Please let us know what you find out regarding your clutch.
        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
          Please let us know what you find out regarding your clutch.
          I will. one of my friends suggested pulling on the clutch cable near the cover to test if it is a stretched cable problem. Im busy all day today, but I will check it soon and get back to you all, but this problem has stumped me for a bit now so im not sure how long itll be before I get it resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by rhays93 View Post
            So Im having to different problems here with my 92 gsx600f and Im just not sure what to do about them.

1. The clutch is not disengaging properly. If Im in first gear (with the clutch lever all the way pulled in) it has resistance. Not as much as it would be without me holding the lever in, but not as little as neutral. Ive tried adjusting the cable, and nothing.

2. I went to go and check out some electronics, so I took the airbox out, and I noticed that there was oil in the end of it where the hose is that connects it to the engine.

any help/suggestions would be nice. thank you for your time.
            I will. one of my friends suggested pulling on the clutch cable near the cover to test if it is a stretched cable problem. Im busy all day today, but I will check it soon and get back to you all, but this problem has stumped me for a bit now so im not sure how long itll be before I get it resolved.
            First off... lets determine if there really is a problem.

Does the bike creep or move forward at all times when the bike is running? Is this assesement of a problem only when the bike is off?

If your talking only about the bike having some resistance in gear when the motor is not running... that's normal. It's a wet clutch. The oil in the wet clutch will create resistance when in gear as everything in the clutch basket is being turned in it.

: I'm not sure what you friend meant to say there, but they way you phrased seems a bit... Odd. Cables don't stretch and un-stretch like a spring for example. They do stretch slightly with use, but they stay that way making them slightly longer over all. In other words... it doesn't matter where you pull the cable from... if it's stretched, it just need to be adjusted. This is why you have multiple adjustment points. It's a normal part of matenance to check and adjust the clutch when nessasary.

So... Adjust the clutch following the manaul first!

I would suggest replacement of the bent clutch rod. Even if it's not causing a problem now, it can be one in the future. You may also find that it helps to reduce your problem some.

Small amounts of oil in the breather box is normal. The tube from the top of the engine to the air box is how it gets there. The top of the engine has a crank case breather. This allows for variances in pressure inside the engine to normalize due to heat and operation. Some of the oil and gas in side the engine turns to vapor and is ejected out the breather case down the tube where it will be captured and reused through the intake... or it may condense and drain to the bottom of the airbox.

The airbox is equipted with a drain tube on it for this reason. Once in a while, it's a part of your regular maintenance to drain the tube/airbox. Don't leave the tube open, or it will cause an air leak issue.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It does creep if it's in gear and the clutch is pulled in. So I'm trying to get that problem fixed, and thank you for the info about air box.

Comment

It does creep if it's in gear and the clutch is pulled in.

Start with properly adjusting the clutch. Check your manual for the full walk thru on how.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

What part of the clutch? Because I've tried the cable and the plates, and I don't know where else to go :/

Do you by any chance know off the top of your head how many friction plates are supposed to be in the basket?
                  Last edited by rhays93; 12-22-2011, 09:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

First you go here to the Wiki:

Then you go here to get your manual:

Finally, you go here to get your manual so you can read the right section:

Comment

I meant to say did creep my reply, I admit this part was my fault for not mentioning it, but Ive felt the resistance when rolling it and I haven't tried riding it. Also, between when I drove it and realized the problem it was having, I had rearranged the plates to the correct order and quantity since the previous owner had royally screwed it up, so some time today I'm taking it out to test it, cold weather or now, and I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks again for all the helpful information though and sorry I neglected to mention that.

Comment

You can't judge a clutch adjustment when the engine is off and you are pushing it. Gotta start it up and ride it! Good luck.

Comment

I know Im a little late replying, but I got new friction plates, new oil, and I have adjusted the clutch. My clutch is not engagin properly now. still. :/ and Im kind of getting i-on it since weve had almost no winter here and riding season will be soon. I have 8 friction plates in and 7 of the steel clutch plates in between them all, is that the amount I need? because I feel that the lip of the clutch disk? (The part that gets pushed out) isnt touching the clutch plates enough. I feel like Im missing something REALLY obvious and am going ot look dumb, but I just wanted to get back to you all about it.

thanks again for your time.

Comment

I know Im a little late replying, but I got new friction plates, new oil, and I have adjusted the clutch. My clutch is not engagin properly now. still. :/ and Im kind of getting i-on it since weve had almost no winter here and riding season will be soon. I have 8 friction plates in and 7 of the steel clutch plates in between them all, is that the amount I need? because I feel that the lip of the clutch disk? (The part that gets pushed out) isnt touching the clutch plates enough. I feel like Im missing something REALLY obvious and am going ot look dumb, but I just wanted to get back to you all about it.

thanks again for your time.
                            Fiche shows 8 and 9 plates. Think you might be missing something.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

just found that out too. Its a bit dreary out, but I will be going outside soon to put the plates in, and hopefully it'll be okay then.

Comment

Working...
                              X