X

bike wont start? HELP!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike wont start? HELP!

About a month ago I busted an oil line doing about 75ish. I had driven about 50 miles when I noticed the bike smoking. (I had slowed way down due to the state trooper pulling me over for unknowingly entering a 40mph zone.) So...I'm not sure how far I had driven with no oil. I didnt hear a rattle or anything, but it was kind of squeaking alittle. But didnt seem horrible. But I got it towed home, and parked it. About a week later I dropped a couple of quarts in it and cranked it up to find the leak. It cranked right up and didn't seem to have a problem. (Other than the oil gushing from the hole in the line.) So after about a month, I FINALLY got my new lines, a gallon of oil and a new filter. The old filter still had oil in it, too which made me feel slightly better about it not being TOTALLY dry. But now it wont start? There was very little gas left in it, but maybe its old? I put about a gallon of fresh gas on top of it. The starter is turning, seems a little louder than normal, even. But there is only a slight, very faint thump when I hit it. I tried to roll start it, but it wouldn't kick over, and didn't really sound right when it tried to. Does the banjo nut need to be installed in any certain position to flow? It seems like the holes just let the oil into the connector and then pressure carries the oil up the line...I'm not really sure, though. PLEASE, ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

What bothers me is that it started just fine last time I tried it, and since then all I did was change the oil/filter, put a new oil line on, and add some gas. One of these things HAS to be the issue, right?

Comment

Not nessy-cellery! You might be experiencing a delayed reaction from running without oil / low oil pressure. Oil / air cooled engines really need that stuff - for lubrication and cooling. But, hopefully it's something minor. Coincidences do exist and the failure to start may be totally unrelated. Any chance you dislodged anything while installing the new oil line - specifically anything electrical, vacuum or fuel related?

Comment

Not to be a smart arse or anything, but after sitting for a month, did you prime the carbs before trying o start. Just wanna narrow things down a bit.
        When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

If it has been sitting for a month, make sure the battery has a good charge, and as mentioned, place the fuel switch on prime for 30 seconds or so, choke at 50% or so, and then try starting it.
          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

It's ok, phantasm, I knew SOMEONE was going to ask that question lol. After reading a couple of other threads, I put a good slow charge on it last night, primed it, and put found some starter fluid laying around (that I had already been looking for!) After a couple of tries, she flipped right over this morning. From the sound and the brief test ride, it seems like all systems are go! Thanks for the input, guys ...I freakin love this site!

Comment

I take it back. Its got a rattle at high RPMs. Crap. I was afraid of that.

Comment

Can you describe the rattle? is it specifically RPM dependent, or does it matter what gear your in?
                Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

It's kind of a "colicky" "vibratey" sound. The faster I go the faster the sound. It seemed fine through the neighborhood, but when I got on it is when the sound started. The RPMs really aren't that high, right around the power band. Maybe 5 or 6k. It's a fighter, so there's no tac. I'm no mechanic by any means, but it sounds like something hitting the top of the engine maybe. Pistons, lifters, I dunno? I'm good with putting things together, but diagnosis isn't my forte. Actually, now that I think about it, it sounds alot like money flying out of my pocket. Especially since this is my primary vehicle lol.

^"clicky " not colicky lol. Stupid autocorrect.
                  Last edited by RatKat13; 12-13-2011, 05:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

hum... well its not RPM dependent it doesn't sound like.... well not exactly.... hum...
                    Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

pull the valve cover and check the cam, chain, bearings ect.....
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Cam chain tensioner. Check it out.

Comment

Thanks. I know I'm gonna have to open her up. Just wanted some suggestions as to what to check out.

Comment

Working...
                          X