Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

95 CR80 RUNNING ISSUE! any help would be great.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 CR80 RUNNING ISSUE! any help would be great.

ok here it is, i think i got a great deal on this lil fella,(traded an xbox 360 for it ) but im hoping it wont need to much more work so that i STILL feel like i got the better and of the deal in the long run. anyway its a 1995 cr 80r . the previous owner said it only had 5 or so hrs on fresh top end rebuild.(showed me receipts for wiseco piston and boyseen reeds,etc...) but, when i showed up to trade the bike would start run pretty good with the choke on the after u drop thechoke it idles up really high after a few seconds ( but sounds really smooth) then immediately dies. (sounds like its running out of gas) i figured since it was 28 degrees that day that it probably just needed to warm up. i managed to drive it up the street and check that all the gears shifted smoothly.( that lil sh*t tried to bodyslam me every gear) then as soon as i pulled back to his house and allowed the rpm to drop it died at idle and would not start or run without the choke on? jets clogged? if i clean the carb really well what else should i do just to go ahead and fix this problem while i have it tore apart. ?? anyhelp would be great!
    92 gsxf 750:1216 motor upgrade,5.5 inch wheel swap, plus 10 swingarm, gsxr 1000 farings and cbr tailight,lol

It's a two stroke race bike, they dont idle...back when mine was actually running I had the idle set perfectly to where it would give me about 5 seconds before actually dying...
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
      It's a two stroke race bike, they dont idle...back when mine was actually running I had the idle set perfectly to where it would give me about 5 seconds before actually dying...
      yeah thats about the best i could get out of it, i just turned up the idle tho so im not sure i really fixed the problem, just bandaid. it will idle for bout 10 seconds then falls on its face unless i give it a quick rev. so i guess thats normal for a 2 stroke ? ok scotty i have one more question . will i harm the engine on a two stroke by having an exhaust leak? i am sure i am losing power but will it damage it?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by B12BAMADUDE; 12-01-2011, 07:49 PM.
      92 gsxf 750:1216 motor upgrade,5.5 inch wheel swap, plus 10 swingarm, gsxr 1000 farings and cbr tailight,lol

Comment

Originally posted by B12BAMADUDE View Post
        ok here it is, i think i got a great deal on this lil fella,(traded an xbox 360 for it ) but im hoping it wont need to much more work so that i STILL feel like i got the better and of the deal in the long run. anyway its a 1995 cr 80r . the previous owner said it only had 5 or so hrs on fresh top end rebuild.(showed me receipts for wiseco piston and boyseen reeds,etc...) but, when i showed up to trade the bike would start run pretty good with the choke on the after u drop thechoke it idles up really high after a few seconds ( but sounds really smooth) then immediately dies. (sounds like its running out of gas) i figured since it was 28 degrees that day that it probably just needed to warm up. i managed to drive it up the street and check that all the gears shifted smoothly.( that lil sh*t tried to bodyslam me every gear) then as soon as i pulled back to his house and allowed the rpm to drop it died at idle and would not start or run without the choke on? jets clogged? if i clean the carb really well what else should i do just to go ahead and fix this problem while i have it tore apart. ?? anyhelp would be great!
        That part is not good at all. That means it's running lean, and may be caused by the leaking exhaust. They are supposed to idle at a normal RPM off choke, for about 5-10 seconds and then die. Not rev higher and then die, that's not right.

Also, it's water cooled right? Warm that thing up until the radiators get warm before you go ride it else you risk sticking the piston.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
          That part is not good at all. That means it's running lean, and may be caused by the leaking exhaust. They are supposed to idle at a normal RPM off choke, for about 5-10 seconds and then die. Not rev higher and then die, that's not right.

Also, it's water cooled right? Warm that thing up until the radiators get warm before you go ride it else you risk sticking the piston.
          thats another thing i was wondering.....if the exhaust leak could have something to do with it dying? yeah i think it was doing that before i changed the plug . it had a br8 and i changed to a br10 (ngk) and i dont think it was doing the idle up thing before it sh%t itself . it would just idle pretty normal THEN sh%t itself.basically before with the br8 it would idle high then die. now with the br10 it judt dies and at low throttle it will scream then not so, then scream , and then not so much scream? i know that probably sounds retarded.
          Last edited by B12BAMADUDE; 12-01-2011, 08:06 PM.

Comment

So wait, just off idle it will rev up and down? Also, are you running the factory plug in that thing? If not, run the factory plug. No need to change unless it's got a high comp head or piston or something.

yeah, sounds like you need to fix the exhaust leak and check the carb. Not too familiar with those, but does it have a powervalve? I know Honda's used a cable system and it may be dirty or need adjusting.

Comment

call me an idiot, call me what you want:
              Im 95.5% sure that a cr80r does not have a power valve, also it would not be cable driven. A power valve makes getting into the powerband more predictable more than anything.
              Last edited by gsx; 12-01-2011, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gsx View Post
                Im 95.5% sure that a cr80r does not have a power valve, also it would not be cable driven. A power valve makes getting into the powerband more predictable more than anything.
                I forgot to check this thread...but WOW. That is not right at all.

A two stroke R bike will not idle if tuned correctly, the high idle off choke indicates that you dont have the airbox seated completely on the intake side of the carb (what a pain in the ***.)

The power valve is only there to improve exhaust scavenging and make sure you dont pull the intake through the exhaust...just FYI.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by gsx View Post
                  Yes, on a Honda 2 stroke the power valve is cable ACTUATED. I looked it up. Although I still can't determine if yours has one or not. Pics of both sides of the motor will tell.

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                  I forgot to check this thread...but WOW. That is not right at all.

A two stroke R bike will not idle if tuned correctly, the high idle off choke indicates that you dont have the airbox seated completely on the intake side of the carb (what a pain in the ***.)

The power valve is only there to improve exhaust scavenging and make sure you dont pull the intake through the exhaust...just FYI.
                  What this guy said.
                  Last edited by 05RedKat600; 12-03-2011, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                    Yes, on a Honda 2 stroke the power valve is cable ACTUATED. I looked it up.
                    Interesting...I never worked on my YZ125 I had as a kid but on my RM it's actually got a control arm hooked to a little nub on the crank...strange...whats the other end of the cable actually hook to for the timing?

Comment

Centrifugal weights driven by a shaft in the engine. They had various different styles, and they were the only ones to use a cable actuated system. Honda used ATAC, HPP, and V-TACS...yes, that is an actual system.

Comment

Just one more part on a system meant to make an inefficient engine a little more efficient, gotta love Honda's hope...

Comment

Working...
                        X