X

How to:Clutch overhaul on 88 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to:Clutch overhaul on 88 600

Getting ready to do my first clutch on this bike.

I picked up:

a EBC clutch kit with the springs and steels and friction plates.

new cover gasket

new clutch cable

new clutch bolts.

4L of oil and filter.

I have read the manual and seems to be a fairly strait forward job.

I'll leave the bike in 1st gear. drain the oil. remove the clutch cover, remove the 4 pressure plate bolts, remove the clutch push piece, bearing and washer.

remove the clutch plates and steels. Inspect the clutch basket and replace the friction plates, springs, and steels with the new ones. then reverse the tear down.

I will soak the friction plates in clean oil the day before as i hear this is the proper way to do it.

I plan to take some photo's along the way for anyone interested in seeing it step by step.

Is there anything I have overlooked or not sound right? Also... the manual i looked at was for an 89-97...not an 88 so is there any changes in the procedure for me doing it on my 88 600?

I have 1 question...I have the friction plates soaking in oil but all of my friction plates are the same, both in thickness and in the notches on the outside of them.

I was under the impression that one would be thicker and also have a different pattern in how the notches on the outside of the friction plates are cut out.

Comment

It all depends on the clutch and the kit. Some do use 1 different plate, some don't.

Comment

awesome, thanks arsenic, thats good to know.

I'll dig into the clutch tomorrow and post up my picts along the way..plates are soaking in new oil. Hopefully it will help some others out there that are going to do a similar job.

I would assume the FSM that is for an 89-97 would be the same for the 88 when doing the clutch procedure?

Comment

the 88 600 clutch was used in 88-91 or 92 something like that.

Comment

Working...
          X