X

Turbo Install

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by donalson
    as the oil from a turbo is VERY frothy much like a milk shake... for the feed a common location is to T off the oil pressure sensor (on cars at least) as it's a consistant pressure location... but i'm not sure where the sensor is located on the kat...
    The oil pressure sensor is directly below the signal generator on the right side of the engine, and measures the low-pressure/high-volume side of the system.
    I'm not sure why a constant solid stream of oil would go frothy in a turbo (if there's no air in the oil lines to/from the turbo), and JASO-MA rated oils have a virtually zero froth rate by formulation (bonus compared to car oils).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i'm speaking purely from my gen knowledge of turbos which is all car based lol.... so may be different w/ motorcycle type oil... but w/ standard auto oil it froths up and becomes very slow to drain... standard oil drains are MUCH larger then the input to prevent draining issues...

when you have a drainage backup the oil overpresurises in the turbo and will push its way past the seals and give you that glorious smoke show

Comment

Donalson, I have built my own fuel injection on my Kat and I'm still tuning it so I do not have to use any carb. I used kawa 34mm TBs with 200cc injectors in it. With an EFI system, a blow through configuration is mostly used so I will use it too. So the fuel supply is taken care of.

I know that the drainage line is bigger then the supply line and you must always suck oil through the turbo bearings instead of 'blowing' oil with high pressure through the turbo. This will result in oil loss and the 'well known' smoke shows when the pressure on the supply line is too high.

For now I think it is best to leave the oil pressure sensor in its place and drill two holes in the oilpan like mentioned before. Then an electric pomp with the correct flow rate can be used to supply the turbo with oil, even after the engine is shutdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Polyester_Patje
          Donalson, I have built my own fuel injection on my Kat and I'm still tuning it so I do not have to use any carb. I used kawa 34mm TBs with 200cc injectors in it. With an EFI system, a blow through configuration is mostly used so I will use it too. So the fuel supply is taken care of.
          Curious: what fuel pump pressure are you running to the injectors?

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            Curious: what fuel pump pressure are you running to the injectors?

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            At the moment the pressure is adjusted at 2.5 bar. It can be 3.5 bar at most but this is a bit overkill for now. Maybe the pressure must be increased at high rpm when the turbo is used but for now I must get it running smooth with the right ignition advance for each rpm.

Comment

ya i know MS very well ... planning on running MSNS or just stright fuel side?... idealy i'd get the bike running well NA w/ stock ignition setup... then wire it up for MSNS and then match or better ignition... and then add boost... having control over both fuel and ignition will give you much better control over the engine.

also idealy pick up the WB o2 sensor if you haven't already it'll make tuning a sinch both in WOT and partial thorttle conditions.

Comment

The turbo lag should be reduced to a minimum with the actual DIY EFI and all its extra sensors.
                I fail to see how all the sensors in the world could reduce turbo lag time. Turbo lag is caused by the time it takes the pressurized air to travel from the turbo to the engine- it is a function of volume, or more preciesly, intake runner length. A sensor would have to anticipate you opening the throttle, and only one way you could do that would have one wired directly into your brain!

As I said, I am not familiar with diesel/Peugeot turbos, so I will defer to you about turbo choice.
                "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

[quote="StevieB"]
                  The turbo lag should be reduced to a minimum with the actual DIY EFI and all its extra sensors.
                  I fail to see how all the sensors in the world could reduce turbo lag time. Turbo lag is caused by the time it takes the pressurized air to travel from the turbo to the engine- it is a function of volume, or more preciesly, intake runner length. A sensor would have to anticipate you opening the throttle, and only one way you could do that would have one wired directly into your brain!quote]

StevieB, I have a total of 5 sensor on the intake side, 1 temp and pressure sensor just before the TBs (intake manifold), 1 temp and pressure sensor directly placed behind the turbo unit (intake side) and 1 temp sensor on the ingoing side of the turbo to measure the before and after turbo air temp. difference.

With the information from these 5 sensors, I hope to be able to reduce the turbo lag to a minimum by calculating and comparing all values in combination with the information from the crank triggerwheel (iginition), Wideband o2 sensor and throttle body valve position. My goal is to keep a steady and increasing pressure from 6000rpm upto the max rpm.

I know it can be very difficult to reduce the turbo lag but I hope I will end up with the possible minimum turbo lag. I'm still figuring out how and where to place the intake tubing so I will end up with the shortest intake length.

Donalson, I run it all from the MS (injection, ignition control and boost control). Currently I'm still waiting for information from Suzuki about the ignition advance and retard for every 100rpm to use that as a reference point and start tuning it. I also installed the wideband o2 sensor to measure the A/F ratio. The only parts that are missing, are the camshaft position sensors. For my setup only the crank position wheel with a HAL sensor(12-1 triggerwheel) is needed to calculate and/or determine the ignition advance or retard.

Comment

[quote="Polyester_Patje"]
                    Originally posted by StevieB
                    I fail to see how all the sensors in the world could reduce turbo lag time...

...With the information from these 5 sensors, I hope to be able to reduce the turbo lag to a minimum by calculating and comparing all values in combination with the information from the crank triggerwheel (iginition), Wideband o2 sensor and throttle body valve position. My goal is to keep a steady and increasing pressure from 6000rpm upto the max rpm.

I know it can be very difficult to reduce the turbo lag but I hope I will end up with the possible minimum turbo lag. I'm still figuring out how and where to place the intake tubing so I will end up with the shortest intake length....
                    Still not clear on the concept, here. You experience turbo lag when you first open the throttle. The only way I can see sensors reducing it is either the wired-to-the-brain idea I mentioned, or possibly if you had a drive-by-wire throttle control, and the sensors directed the throttle to open or stay partially open. All I can think about that is A) what a complicated and expensive solution, and B) SCARY! When you need no throttle, you NEED no throttle.

Help me out here.
                    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

StevieB, you are right about this. I cannot do anything about the throttle response. That comes with the turbo or I must use a really small turbo but that will reduce max bhp.

For now I think the EFI system and the GT15 are a good choice for my 600F and I hope to able to show powerruns before end 2007 8)

Comment

I hate the resurrect the dead, but I'm curious if this turbo project was ever completed.

-Justin
                        '89 Conquest TSi :: '01 GSX 600F Katana :: '02 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Comment

I'm thinking it fell by the wayside, from the lack of replies.

GSX600F RIP 3/2006 - 6/9/2008

Comment

Working...
                          X