Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

does anyone have a clutch change writeup?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone have a clutch change writeup?

clutch is slipping , looking for videos or step by steps someone might have done that i cannot find in my searches
    sigpic

It's really simple..... simple enough that probably nobody has bothered to write it up. If you have downloaded the service manual, it should be no problem at all.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by Malloc View Post
      clutch is slipping , looking for videos or step by steps someone might have done that i cannot find in my searches
      Rather than change it, have you checked your adjustment lately? Running some different oil than you normally do? How many miles are on it?

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
        Rather than change it, have you checked your adjustment lately? Running some different oil than you normally do? How many miles are on it?
        well i bought it recently , the clutch lever released at the end of release for engagement , ( making it difficult for me to have control as i am better with engaging when starting to release ) so i adjusted the lever , i don't know if it slipped or not when i bought it even before adjusting the lever since it was wet ground most the way and i didn't gun it.

i have not changed the oil yet

i already bought Barnett friction disks off eBay

miles say 11000 although i am starting to think the bike has more and the gauges where changed as i see a lot of engine oil coming threw the area the fairing covers , bike had both sides repainted as i didn't notice when i saw it till a few days latter
        and a bad fork seal and a caliper that looks like it got rebuild , things a bike with 9800 when purchased shouldn't have IMHO
        Last edited by Malloc; 10-22-2011, 02:29 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Mine had 8K on it when I bought it, it's a 2005, and the valve cover leaked which causes oil on the fairings. Not all that uncommon from what I hear.

Comment

hmm well the one i sold before this one didnt have much of that and was cleaner looking for corosion in the fron exh manifold area with i think 30k on it , i guess each one is dif , all in who and how it is treated too :\

welp i def need to figure the clutch out soon before it slips in a turn and makes me dump it
            sigpic

Comment

hmm well the one i sold before this one didnt have much of that and was cleaner looking for corosion in the fron exh manifold area with i think 30k on it , i guess each one is dif , all in who and how it is treated too :\

welp i def need to figure the clutch out soon before it slips in a turn and makes me dump it
              Really, if you can remove the side cover, you can remove the clutch. Once you get the cover off, it's 4 bolts with springs, then the inner clutch hub comes off. After that, just remove all the plates as a stack. Then when you go to reassemble, just put them back in the order they came out, swapping old friction plates with new ones. It's really not as difficult as people make it out to be.

Also, be sure to soak your new plates in fresh oil for a day before you install them! This is very important.

This video isn't a Katana, but it is virtually the same. An MC clutch is an MC clutch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br63PLcq3sU"]Clutch replacement for motorcycle and ATV - Clutch kit Install - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

oh ok , i thought needed special tools and tork settings and a buncha mumbo jumdo
                thanks
                sigpic

Comment

oh ok , i thought needed special tools and tork settings and a buncha mumbo jumdo
                  thanks
                  A torque wrench, yes you do. The bolts that hold the springs will snap if you over-torque them.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                    A torque wrench, yes you do. The bolts that hold the springs will snap if you over-torque them.
                    Just snug them up by hand. Don't try to torque those. Just snug them up.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      Just snug them up by hand. Don't try to torque those. Just snug them up.
                      Really? I would expect that they could let go, but I guess I've never tried. I have to reassemble the clutch on the GSXR tonight, so maybe I'll do that, as unnatural as it seems.

Comment

Yeah, I just use a 1/4" drive ratchet and tighten them up by hand. Of course I've done it enough time to know what "too tight" feels like.

Comment

What happends if the motor moves while the clutch is off is it out of time now

Comment

Originally posted by Krider2017 View Post
                            What happends if the motor moves while the clutch is off is it out of time now
                            The clutch (and basket) have nothing to do with timing, so it would have no effect at all.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                            X