Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

BEFORE POSTING IN MECHANICS 101...please read...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEFORE POSTING IN MECHANICS 101...please read...

It has come to the attention of many that things are getting a bit out of hand when it comes to replies and suggestions/advice in the threads of Mechanics 101 here lately. So, that being general knowledge I would like to offer a few suggestions for pretty much anyone who posts here:

1. Before you post a question, please, please, PLEASE, take the 5 minutes out of your life to THOROUGHLY search for related threads on your issue. The 'Search' button on the blue menu bar above also has a Google site search linked with it. It's not the greatest, but it does work when used properly. There are literally thousands of threads on this site, many of which most likely pertain to the issue you are having.

2. Use the Katana Wiki, also a button on the menu bar along the top of the forum page. It has a LOT of useful information, including links to download a -are you ready for it- FREE SERVICE MANUAL.

3. Just above Mechanics 101 on the forum page, is the How-To section. Check it out, lots of good stuff in there, too!

4. When you have exhausted these options and decide you really need some guidance, feel free to post your question...now got to #5 below.

5. After posting your question, and long-standing members here give you advice, and sincere direction as to how to repair your issue, LISTEN. Many of the members here have been working on these bikes since they came out, you know, OVER TWENTY YEARS AGO. No one here will intentionally point you in the wrong direction, we aren't that kind of community.

6. IF those long standing members start giving you crap, it's most likely because you are doing something ignorant, or something they have told you not to. Once again, read, comprehend, and DO what these guys tell you. We do not like giving out 'band-aid' advice. We want your bike fixed just like you do, and we are most generally going to tell you how to do it RIGHT.

7. Repairing a motorcycle properly requires time, patience, and most likely, some money. Your life could depend on you fixing your motorcycle properly, keep that in mind.

All that being said, no one here is guaranteeing anything but advice from guys and gals who have worked on these bikes for a long time, over the internet. So take it for what you will, you are still doing the work, not anyone else here. We want everyone to have an enjoyable experience here, and on their bike. Doing so here, requires cooperation on the behalf of all those involved in your thread, including YOU.
    Last edited by teddy; 10-05-2011, 01:05 PM.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Also try to list clearly, and concisely EVERYTHING you've already done or tried. It helps us make a diagnoses which is hard to do on something you can't be in the same room with. Pictures are GREAT! Make sure to use them when approrpriate!
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Well said Teddy!
      :

Originally posted by steves View Post
      Also try to list clearly, and concisely EVERYTHING you've already done or tried. It helps us make a diagnoses which is hard to do on something you can't be in the same room with. Pictures are GREAT! Make sure to use them when approrpriate!
      AND how you did it. A lot of time and energy is wasted by a poster saying they have done things, but didn't do them thoroughly or correctly. This is critically important when it comes to carb problems. Measurements and methods are very helpful.
      Last edited by Badfaerie; 10-05-2011, 11:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Sorry guys, this is not a post ho thread. Any post that does not directly contribute to the topic will be removed.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

A few more things others have passed along...

Grammar and punctuation. No one will help if they can't decipher your post. You can preview your post in the 'advanced reply' screen. Try reading what you wrote. If you can't read it clearly, odds are that no one else will either. We understand sometimes you are posting from a phone or may even be in an emergency, but communication is key, even when you call 911.

Did I mention that we have a free download of the service manual? Yep, up there in #2 of my original post.

Like steves said, pictures, pictures, pictures...they go a long way in helping out!

To those who give help when needed: We here on the KR staff appreciate all you do to help others on the boards.

You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Also, list the year and size of your bike. Or at least fill out your garage so others know what you're dealing with. " my kat wont start" is a little lacking in the info department.
            When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
              Also, list the year and size of your bike. Or at least fill out your garage so others know what you're dealing with. " my kat wont start" is a little lacking in the info department.
              Yes, extremely important.

Breakdown of diagnostic procedure:

Bike including year and cc
              What all has been modified from stock
              Carb settings
              Any recent changes
              THEN the symptoms...
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Troubleshooting 101 - PLEASE READ....

KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
                and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.
                http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Comment

After you have followed the proper procedures, Please be respectful of other members. wait for your responces. do not start flooding members with PM questions that have been covered many times in the forum. also replying members please do not direct new members to PM others for their answer unless you know that It would be OK to do so. sooner or later the member may run accross the thread, if they choose to reply thats their decision.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

great advice Teddy. one more thing should be added, though.....and that is don't be lazy. it's not always easy to give helpful advice when you feel like the person asking is wanting to be spoon fed. basic maintenance should be something every bike owner should know. ideally, threads asking how to tighten a chain, or how to change the oil, should not even exist. these are the basics that are clearly covered in the manual, and if they can't understand it in the manual, then how do we expect them to understand our help?

anyway, just thought I would bring that up after seeing a few threads asking for "help", with very little signs of any real effort made on their part. sure, they get their answers anyway because some members just enjoy giving advice any chance they get.....but still.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                      X