Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Died on me doing 45, wouldnt stay going unless i gave er gas!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Died on me doing 45, wouldnt stay going unless i gave er gas!

So I am going to get some lunch today and my bike just dies! It starts back up just fine but continued to die unless i kept on the throttle! I live about 20 miles away so I just stayed on the gas and rode home.

Idk what caused this but I think it is time to tear into her!
    I have and oil leak coming from the case that holds the started gears. Can i use any type of sealant for that or do I have to order a gasket?

I figure there is something wrong with the bike getting fuel so i might as well go over it all while I have it apart. My petcock obviously needs pulled and cleaned, if not replaced because the bike will only run while it is on prime, if i put it on run, it dies.
    Advice anyone?? What should I be looking for? Thanks guys!

Ok, so i got the fairings off and notice one of the clamp things (i think holding the airbox on the the carbs) is losse, not even tightened. Also there is grime up high on the engine, does that mean I have a leak up there?
    I am gonna take some pictures and try to post them.

Comment

Here are some pics showing the clamp that is loose, the grime on the engine, and two loose hoses....not sure if the hoses are supposed to be that way or not.
      Attached Files

Comment

Make sure all the boots are seated well AND all the clamps are tight.

You have a valve cover leak most likely.

Also, your petcock is on Prime. May be causing carbs to flood if your float needles aren't sealing right. Should only be on Prime to refill bowls after sitting or service. You have some issues to work out there.

Comment

[QUOTE=05RedKat600;2122881]Make sure all the boots are seated well AND all the clamps are tight.

You have a valve cover leak most likely.

Also, your petcock is on Prime. May be causing carbs to flood if your float needles aren't sealing right. Should only be on Prime to refill bowls after sitting or service. You have some issues to work out there.

I know i sound stupid, but what is the valve cover? I am going to tighten up that clamp for sure.
          And as far as the petcock goes, it will only run on prime...would it be a good idea to go ahead and pull the tank and then the petcock and see what is going on? When i put it on "on" it run for a minute then dies.
          Also what about using a liquid gasket sealer for the starter grear covor, it seems to be leaking pretty good!

Comment

the cover on the top of your engine is the valve cover

I would drain the oil, remove the cover and make a new gasket.. sealant will leak

Comment

Ok, so i got the tank off and there are four vent looking things sticking outta each carb and one looks like it has been epoxied and is missing the rubber cap! What are those and does there need to be a cap on it?
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 88kat-rider View Post
                the cover on the top of your engine is the valve cover

I would drain the oil, remove the cover and make a new gasket.. sealant will leak
                how would i make a new gasket?

Comment

Lots of air leaks going on there... surprised sometimes how these bikes run at all with things PO have done to them.

The cap with the missing rubber and epoxied part.... if it's broken/cracked and that is an attempted fix, I would replace it. Make sure all the caps are in good shape.

Make sure the boots for the airbox are fully seated and clamped properly.

The valve cover gasket is rubber and needs to be replaced with a new gasket if it's not working right. Purchase one...not a make it situation. I would pull the cover and check first though, just incase it's simply a problem with someone not torqueing the cover or putting the gaskets in right.

For the petcock, I would track down the vacuum line for it and make sure it's connected properly. Should plug onto the side of carb #4 (right side as sitting on it) and go to the back of the petcock. No vacuum line, petcock won't flow fuel only anything but prime. Your pictures do not show a vacuum line on the carbs.

As for the 2 hoses that come off the top of the carbs at the same place as the fuel lines go down... those are vent lines, and should be routed over the airbox either side of the intake hole (you will see a spot for them to feed into to hold in place on the airbox either side of the hole).... and just drain to the bottom of the bike. Not plugged into anything.

Make sure your airbox has the drain line on it plugged or crimped off though.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

When i pulled the gas tank the petcock on "on" and "res" let fuel thru, not as much as on prime but still enough was coming through...is that right?
                    I took apart the petcock and it looks brand new, no gunk or nothing, idk what the prob would be.
                    The vacuum line seems to be fine, i have a line going to each side of the petcock so i assume that is the vacuum line cuz one of them goes to the 4th carb.

I pulled my airbox off, i wasnt bolted in and also not one of the clamps was tightened! I looked at my carbs and they look spotless.
                    So my gameplan is to tighten it all down and put her back together. Just wondering though about tightening or loosening the a/f screws? Are those the ones on the bottome side of the carbs? Cuz if so, my 4th carb, looks like the screw is screwed all the way in! Also the spark plug on the far right side was not even plugged in i dont think! (unless i pulled it on accident!)

Comment

Originally posted by plexlove View Post
                      When i pulled the gas tank the petcock on "on" and "res" let fuel thru, not as much as on prime but still enough was coming through...is that right?
                      I took apart the petcock and it looks brand new, no gunk or nothing, idk what the prob would be.
                      The vacuum line seems to be fine, i have a line going to each side of the petcock so i assume that is the vacuum line cuz one of them goes to the 4th carb.

I pulled my airbox off, i wasnt bolted in and also not one of the clamps was tightened! I looked at my carbs and they look spotless.
                      So my gameplan is to tighten it all down and put her back together. Just wondering though about tightening or loosening the a/f screws? Are those the ones on the bottome side of the carbs? Cuz if so, my 4th carb, looks like the screw is screwed all the way in! Also the spark plug on the far right side was not even plugged in i dont think! (unless i pulled it on accident!)
                      There should be 3 lines on the petcock... 2 fuel lines (I see those) and 1 vacuum line on the back side.

krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Now i am trying to put it back together and i cannot get the airbox back on!!
                        The rubber seal dont seem to be long enough to reach the carbs really, once i get one side on the other side pops off.
                        Also i read the airbox is supposed to be completely airtight yet the rubber tubes coming out of it all four of them rotate and are def not "airtight"!
                        This is beginning to seem hopeless!

Comment

"on" and "res" shouldnt flow anything when the tank is off the bike and no vacumm to the petcock.. there should be 3 lines on it. on for the first 2 carbs, another for the 3rd and 4th carbs and then the vacumme line. the vaccume line will be facing the right side of the bike when installed i belive.

yes they are on the bottom of the carbs. if it was running fine before then they are probably fine and i woundt toutch em less you are planing on cleaning your carbs and removing them anyways
                          if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Originally posted by boomer_95 View Post
                            "on" and "res" shouldnt flow anything when the tank is off the bike and no vacumm to the petcock.. there should be 3 lines on it. on for the first 2 carbs, another for the 3rd and 4th carbs and then the vacumme line. the vaccume line will be facing the right side of the bike when installed i belive.

yes they are on the bottom of the carbs. if it was running fine before then they are probably fine and i woundt toutch em less you are planing on cleaning your carbs and removing them anyways
                            well if it is running gas outta all of them with the tank off what could the problem be? The petcock looks brand new, everything looks great!

Comment

there is a small valve that only opens when vacuum is applied from the carbs. if you pour gas on all 3 settings with the tank off then the valve is probably toast.

Comment

Working...
                              X