X

Transmission questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission questions

So I finally got some time to look at my project bike sitting in the shop. I havent touched it since I bought it and the kid I bought it from said he just put a "shift kit" in. Now I dont exactly know what a "shift kit" is but the right side cover of the transmission is still off as is the clutch hub. It is an 89 Kat 750

My question is, when I put a vice grips on the shifter shaft and rotate it, should I be able to click through all of the gears consistenly? Because right now I can click down into first, up a little into neutral, up again for second, and when I try to go past three it just stops, if i jiggle it and go back down to two a few times then I can get past three but it is really difficult. Is this normal? I feel that I should take the shift drum back out and check things over.

It's normal. If you rock the bike back and forth a bit you may be able to find all 6 gears, but it's best to do when it's running.

Comment

A "shift kit" for these bikes is simply a stiffer spring interally on the shifter. It makes it so you have hit the shifter with enough force that you reduce the chance of a missed shift. Missed shifts generally cause transmission issues if done really badly and or repetatively.

The spring greatly reduces the chance of that being a problem. It won't fix a trans problem if it's already there from missed shifts.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
      X