X

600/750 exhaust question....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 600/750 exhaust question....

I've found an exhaust thats listed for a 89-97 750 Katana. Does anybody know if it will fit on a 600 for the same years. Seems like I remember someone telling me these are interchangeable, but maybe its wishful thinking on my part. Thanks for any help....

Re: 600/750 exhaust question....

Originally posted by mutt1970
    I've found an exhaust thats listed for a 89-97 750 Katana. Does anybody know if it will fit on a 600 for the same years. Seems like I remember someone telling me these are interchangeable, but maybe its wishful thinking on my part. Thanks for any help....
    It will bolt on the same openings, but the diameters of the headers are about 23% larger, meaning that you have to either go with a jetkit or rework the carb settings to compensate.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

well i got a question ..i found and exhaust for a 98+ katana and they sya it will fit my 89 750 but i have to get a different oil pan so it will clear it ...they said i could use the newer oil pan or a 600 oil pan is that correct?

Comment

I've heard of people slightly denting the head collector to make it fit around the pre98 oil pan, but how would that effect the flow of the exhaust?

I talked to a local dealership They told me a 98+ 600 oil pan would fit on my '92 600 engine. I'm not sure about the 88-89 Kats. Check your stealership or do some fiching on ronayers.com.
        '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Originally posted by floxera
          I've heard of people slightly denting the head collector to make it fit around the pre98 oil pan, but how would that effect the flow of the exhaust?

I talked to a local dealership They told me a 98+ 600 oil pan would fit on my '92 600 engine. I'm not sure about the 88-89 Kats. Check your stealership or do some fiching on ronayers.com.
          I have no clue on the oil pan compatibility issue, although I've heard rumors about it. I'd suggest contacting Special$K$ about it, he'd be in the know on this one. You might also want to ask him for the pre-98 600 or 750 exhaust if you're interested in going that route (he usually has some in stock).

As for denting the collector, depending on how well it was dented (design-wise), it might actually have positive effects (a couple brands of motorcycle aftermarket exhausts do this intentionally). If you can imagine the exhaust gases coming out of the cylinder into the exhaust header pretty violently due to decompression, they have a fairly high forward speeds at this instant. At the bottom turn towards the rear, most of the gases will be pressing against the front edge of the pipe (as the pipe turns towards the rear). If, at that spot, the pipe widens left-to-right, but narrows front-to-back (in theory at least), you should get a faster through-put at high RPM's while retaining a bit more torque punch in the low RPM (where the lower gas pressures and gas speeds tend to cause the gas to be tumbling instead of really zipping along against the front wall).

The question is whether you can figure out a good way to widen and indent the exhaust, and how much of an indent you'd have to make to clear the oil pan. My general advice (unless you love to tinker) is to seek out the right exhaust in the first place, so you don't have to mess with it.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

so if im buying an exhaust for a post 98 750 will it work on my 89>?

Comment

Yes a 98+ exhaust will fit on a pre 98 bike. The years are from 1986-1997 that a 98+ will fit. Yes you need to put an oil pan on your pre 98 bike from a 600 or 750 98+, or dent the collector. I have done this mod. It works. I recommend the oil pan vs the denting because it works better and while you are in there you might as well install the spring kit from Factory Pro.There will also be a little cutting on the lower fairings. Not a lot.

Comment

maybe ill just keep looking for a pre 98 exhaust ...what does that spring kid do?

Comment

Originally posted by duff daddy
                  maybe ill just keep looking for a pre 98 exhaust ...what does that spring kid do?
                  Wait a minute , you got a full system . Why you looking for a stock 750 exhasut . I MAY be inclined to help you out , if your answer pleases me ...
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

spring kid? The spring kit firms up the shifting and gives you much better feed back when you shift.

Comment

ooh alright and no i want a new full system ..i dont watn a stock exhaust, im looking for a d&d right now i found a couple for liek 330 but thats as low as i can find them ..thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                      X